Extended warranty - Any recommends ?

v6tas

[ QUOTE ]

Ask yourself how much warranty work you've had done in the past three years and then decide whether to do it or not. VW will want a BIG chunk of money, or you could try someone like www.warrantydirect.co.uk, but be VERY careful with the T&Cs!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used Warranty Direct on my T5R, it was an complete and utter waste of money, they were horrible to deal with and did everything to avoid paying out. Avoid. Flush.gif

The fact that companies are willing to offer these warranties and are still in business after years of doing so is proof that, over the long term, it is cheaper to pay for the repairs as and when they need to be done.

If it was not, the companies would either go bust, or would walk away, or would raise their prices so that it became so. So, in the long term, you're best off to finance these things yourself. Put the money aside, if you want, and over a lifetime you'll have some to spare - it's called "self-insurance", which is a useful comeback to pushy insurance salesmen.

The potential pitfall in this is that you might be hit with a big bill before you've had the time to accumulate the funds. In that case, insurance would have been a good idea. So, the real question is what is the bigest bill you might reasonably have to face, and can you meet that out of your usual cashflow? For me, looking at the house and the 911, the answer is "no", so the house is insured and the 911 is under a Porsche warranty. For the BMWs, white goods, and electrical equipment, the answer (for me) is "yes", so I decline the extended warranties on those things.

[ QUOTE ]

Ask yourself how much warranty work you've had done in the past three years and then decide whether to do it or not. VW will want a BIG chunk of money, or you could try someone like www.warrantydirect.co.uk, but be VERY careful with the T&Cs!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do see your point mate. Im just worried ill not bother and something expensive will go tits up frown.gif

Relax. If something big breaks - clutch or gearbox for example - so be it. Just think how much money you are saving on depreciation with your mkiv over a new rapidly depreciating mkv! The new R32 must lose about 10k from new in the first two years. Chronic residuals compared to the almost-neverending honeymoon the now legendary mkiv enjoyed.

VW warranty on yours would be about a bag of sand, hence pop this in an ISA and have it read just in case any unexpected bills come your way. If the year passes without issue, bingo, you are £1000 + £50 interest up.

They are a bunch of crooks who will find any way of not paying out. I have had warranties with AA, RAC, Warranty Direct ( who have a vey slick web site and tele sales outfit ). All the same.

Mechanic once told me to stick £300 under my mattress instead.

If I need any repairs I shop around, and use the web to buy parts. The savings of doing this is amazing and I end up with a much better knowledge of my car.