335i economy question

Cagey

So, the Z4 has to go after only 6 weeks of ownership, and we are considering a 3-series.

After looking through the Approved Used site, it seems that the 335i are looking like a bit of a bargain (relatively speaking of course).

So to any ex/current 335i owners - what kind of fuel economy are you getting as an average.

Now I know that one wouldn't buy such a car with fuel economy at the top of their list, but it would be good to know.

169144-ok.gif

Cant see it being that good to be honest, depends on whether manual or auto. I have a 325i Auto driven round town and a mix of main road stuff, doing ablout 22 to 23mpg. Will improve to maybe 28 on good long runs but average soon drops again. Can see a 335i being worse although you have to compare the amount of power you have available. A 335d may be a bit more ecomical than a 335i but may not really be by all that much.

However, I am sure there will be 335i drivers along soon with their actual figures.

[ QUOTE ]

I got 25.9mpg from mine over 6 months and 10k miles.

In comparison I got 26mpg from the 535d, 19mpg from the CSL, 16mpg from the S4, 44 from the tdi A3, and 32mpg from my 320d auto (2002).

I think the econemy on them is great, 33mpg is easy on a run sat at 85mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting figures there.

I think on purchase price it's a choice between the 335i or the 330d, but I have to consider long-term running costs too. I guess we need to get a test drive sorted on the 335i (we drove the 330d a few months ago before we chose the z4)

I got 32mpg from the facelift 330d auto over 2 days.

I reckon there is 7mpg between 335i and the 325d, 330d and 335d and then another 7 mpg with the 320d.

All autos.

If you are looking at a derv, it needs to be the 335d, I reckon a 330d will cost more over 2 years based on depreciation alone.

[ QUOTE ]

try the 335d. Real world as wuick if not quicker than the 335i with the benfit of slightly better reslae and better economy. Buye nearly new and the initial prices are similar.

Only reason to go 335i would be manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I can stretch to a 335d. They are commanding a fair chunk more than the petrol cars on the AUC site.

The intention would be to keep it for more than the usual 3 years, so I'm wondering if the depreciation thing wouldn't be such an issue.

I have an MY08 335i manual. MY08 have efficient dynamics and manual are more efficient than auto.

I get 28 ish for mixed driving, 30 when pootling around and 25 when pushing on.

Realy world, it is only slightly more thirsty than my DSG MKV GTI, considering the extra 100+ bhp and that the golf is an FSI engine it is pretty good.

If you do go for a 335i, definately make sure it is the eficient dynamics engine, as it is only group f emmissions, and will be worth more than the earlier 335i come re-sale time.

But like others say, try the 335D, just as fast, and if you are financing it will probably be cheaper due to better residuals

If you are not too worried about the out and out performance then consider the 325d. It is a pretty quick car when occasion is needed. It has the 6 cylinder rumble but will give slightly better mpg.

My car will return 35mpg without trying. On long runs 45mpg is easily obtainable.

Chipping will give anoth 30bhp or so and 50Nm of torque, so not much behind the 330D.

Just to update this, I have gone for a September 2007 330D M-Sport Auto (saloon) - Graphite with Black leather, NAV, Bluetooth etc, 2300 miles.

I decided on the 330d, as it is a car I intend to keep for a long time (talk of small people, which will limit my car-buying habits), and don't really want go with a 325d which may give me more encouragement to re-map it. Secondly, my budget just wouldn't stretch to a 335d - I'm not financing the purchase, and I just couldn't justify it. We also worked out we do enough miles to negate the price premium over a petrol car.

The test drives we took showed the car to be hugely impressive - massive amounts of pull, and plenty refined enough. In my wifes words when sitting in it for the first time - "oh, these seats are like armchairs compared to the Z".

Only problem now is the wait, as (same as with the Z), it is a BMW UK car, so I have to wait for a transporter to deliver it. It can't come soon enough TBH, as my wife is a right bloody grump with her back trouble. I don't think she is actually going to drive the Z again. She'll have other transport to get to work this coming week. I'll be sorry to see it go, but the wait is just delaying the inevitable.