Microphone for Mac - a one for RedRobin maybe?

drpellypo

I've been messing about more and more with garageband, but the limit has been the internal mic on my macbook (that's actually very good!) But it's not great. I've been searching around hte mac forums and loads of people have recommended the blue snowball mic, however, I can't find it anywhere in the UK!

I'm going to be using it for vocals only - not for recording instruments.

Can anyone recommend a mic that will worth with mac/garageband that's not a billion pound ribbon one?

What sort of vocals??

If you are recording at home then something like a Shure SM58 would be ideal, really nice warm sound but without loosing any detail.

Around £70.

They also do a more directional one which is the 58a I think, if you are recording everything together this may be worth looking at?

The SM58 is a good live vocals mic/general purpose mic it will connect to the desk via a balanced xlr connection normally.

I'd actually suggest you invest in a USB or firewire external interface. Something like this - http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_FASTTRACK.html

this will allow you to connect all sorts of external sources including guitars decent mics etc.

Some USB mics if you are not ready for the interface route yet. The samson should provide better results than your internal mic. http://www.andertons.co.uk/cgi/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=usb+microphone&PR=-1&TB=A

Crikey - you guys! What started off as a £30 mic, is now this:

Your Order:

1 x Shure SM 58 (£69)

Package Deal: #34-1

1 x M-audio Fast Track USB (£59)

1 x S.E. Electronics Pop Shield (£35)

1 x Stagg MIS-0022BK (£15)

1 x Stagg MC06 XX - 20ft XLR/XLR (£10)

1 x Delivery UK Mainland (£10)

1 x DISCOUNTS (£-19)

Total including VAT: £179

Well, and I should have done this first, but I spoke to a mate today who's done a lot of studio work and it seems I've got a really good mic for live, but not for studio! So I've bought a Rode NT1-a too. That's another £120 spent!

Anyone wanna buy a brand new Shure?

The Rode is a good mic (for the price). I was trying to keep the price down. The Shure is a very effective mic for both live and studio work. Ok so it's not going to be used to record vocals in a high end commercial studio but it often forms the backbone of many hobby-studios it would also be useful for recording non-vocal sources with high SPL (drums/bass) that would kill the Rode.

• 4 weeks later...