East Coast Salvage - experiences ?

cabby

Looking for £3-4k car until I can decide what I really want. Came across this company in Colchester ECS with a stock of 1300 cars.

The website explains "CARS LAWFULLY SEIZED BY CUSTOMS AND EXCISE + VEHICLES SURRENDERED UNDER LEASING AGREEMENTS AND FINANCE

REPOSSESSIONS. VARIOUS CONTRACTS TO CLEAR VEHICLES."

The only web articles I could find were from 2001 so wanted to check if anyone had more recent dealings with them?

Heard of them before - think it was a magazine article.

The downside is that they are - literaly - sold as seen. And the customs seizures might have been (very) thoroughly searched prior to seizure. Panels may be cut, seats opened up etc etc.

The upside is that this means they are very cheap.

From the top of the page linked.

[ QUOTE ]

VARIOUS CONTRACTS TO CLEAR VEHICLES.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess these might be for sale with outstanding finance on them. Booster needs to confirm, but you might find some of these "too good to be true" prices are exaclt that.

You also need to clear the finance before you own it. If they are snatch backs, the finance is still outstanding!

Not at all sure about this mind...

[ QUOTE ]

what does the v5 say on a reposessed car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. You wouldn't know.

With regard to outstanding finance, if they inovice the vehicle to you, you are are an innocent party in the transaction and liability for settling any finance lies with them. Vehicle is rightly yours. Same with any car from a dealer. Any finance company would have no right to take the car from you.

If they have been going for as long as they have and are a proper salvage company, this wouldn't be an issue as more than likely they but the cars direct from the insurer / finance co and this would have been sorted before the vehicle is handed over.

More importantly you would need to find out if the car is on the VCAR register as some insurance companies won't insure even CAT D cars.

Managed to speak to someone at ECS today and established the following:

- 90% of vehicles are end of lease disposals and are 1 (company) owner FSH vehicles.

- the remainder are repossessions.

- sticker prices are not fixed and open to sensible offers (you'll notice most prices end£X,950). ECS contact the lease company there and then and make offer to company on your behalf with a decision being made straight away.

Will probably make the trek over to Colchester this Saturday if all goes to plan with aim of buying something for circa £4k.

I called ECS on Friday to check that the vehicles I had seen on the website were still in stock before driving over to Colchester. Most had been sold and those that hadn't had pretty high mileage (as a rule anything that doesn't have a mileage listed is 70k +). I asked about a Toyota Avensis diesel and was told it was in stock - but had 197k miles yelrotflmao.gif

Anyways, after a few months of looking we found an 2005 X5 3.D Sport which we viewed yesterday and did a deal on that - picking it up next week smile.gif.

PS. Forgot to ask if the Astra was still in stock - sorry.