BA Club World

Gabster

Loads of times. Unfortunately the saying 'you can't polish a turd' applies here. You'll get more leg room and marginally less foul food but you're still stuck with the miserable cabin crew and the reasonable risk of BA losing your baggage.

Yes, regular Club World flyer here. BA were first with the flat bed, and they've just improved it further. Far better than AA, US etc. The new Virgin flat bed is much better than their first attempt, which was inclined so much it was like trying to sleep on a staircase, but it still loses out to BA in my opinion...

The ground experience is better with Virgin though, unless you have BA Gold Card and can use the First lounge; the Virgin Clubhouse is much better than the BA Club lounge.

The BA experience is much much better on a 747 than a 777 as well IMO; the cabin is too large and too exposed in a 777; at take off/landing the Club cabin is completely visible from WT+. In the 747 the upper deck is best, but even downstairs the cabin has fewer seats than than on the 777.

Although it is perhaps a little churlish to nitpick, since they are all much better than economy grin.gif

Just my thoughts....

Peter

The Dallas service is a 777 so no new generation club world, which is the dogs bollox. There was a problem fitting the new seat to the 777's hence the delay, think it might have been overcome now but questionable whether you will have it by June. If you can afford it it's definitely worth it, economy will never be the same again though!

A great way to get a cheap club fair is to purchase a world traveller plus ticket and use BA miles to upgrade to CW, you'll need 12,500 miles each way (although you can upgrade one way only) and is subject to availability.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A great way to get a cheap club fair is to purchase a world traveller plus ticket and use BA miles to upgrade to CW, you'll need 12,500 miles each way (although you can upgrade one way only) and is subject to availability.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We did this to Tokyo and it was great. The steward was chatting and reckoned there wasn't much different with 1st class other than 'service' - food, welcoming you by name when you you board, or whatever (and he even thought that the new Club bed was better than the older 1st class ones). He seemed a genuine guy and he knew we hadn't paid full price, so he wasn't just flannelling and trying to make us feel good about the Club fare or anything.

I didn't realise about the one-way only rule - we tried to do both ways but outbound was not available and I was assuming it's because I'd left it too late. Good to know - at least I have miles left for both of us next time too.

[ QUOTE ]

We did this to Tokyo and it was great. The steward was chatting and reckoned there wasn't much different with 1st class other than 'service' - food, welcoming you by name when you you board, or whatever (and he even thought that the new Club bed was better than the older 1st class ones).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never flown first but I've seen the hard product and the difference doesn't seem that much from CW, although the exclusivity is useful for the super rich I'm sure!

[ QUOTE ]

I've never flown first but I've seen the hard product and the difference doesn't seem that much from CW, although the exclusivity is useful for the super rich I'm sure!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been fortunate enough to be upgraded to First on a number of occassions (and sometimes BA runs a one way upgrade from CW for full fare pax) and would agree that the actual bed is very similar, though slightly larger.

What makes a real difference is the much greater degree of privacy, and the duvets and pillows were nice grin.gif I never eat the food while flying, so can't comment on that though it did look a notch higher in terms of presentation. Champagne was better as well IIRC beerchug.gif

On one memorable occasion I was upgraded to First on the way back to Tokyo, and was the only passenger in the cabin - now that was private grin.gif Given that all I ever do on long flights is sleep and/or watch movies the crew had an easy flight as well!

Peter

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

We did this to Tokyo and it was great. The steward was chatting and reckoned there wasn't much different with 1st class other than 'service' - food, welcoming you by name when you you board, or whatever (and he even thought that the new Club bed was better than the older 1st class ones).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The steward was quite right.

The only differences I found with First (over club) were;

- slightly better food at a time of your choosing

- slightly more room

- slightly better service

But we shall never bother upgrading from Club to First again as the difference really isn't very noticeable.

169144-ok.gif