[Audi A3/S3] Radio-controlled clock

Sparky

Even more annoying is that when you have the Audi sat nav fitted it receives a very accurate time from the GPS signal - which is ignored (the option to use it to set the instrument time is greyed out)! The sat nav displays the time from the instruments, which you have to set manually (unless you live in Germany...).

Totally stupid IMHO.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Shame Audi don't make a version of the radio module to receive the UK time code signal...

[/ QUOTE ]

The radio clock in my LHD TT works OK in UK...and I doubt it is picking up the signal from Germany so it must be the UK signal.

[ QUOTE ]

The radio clock in my LHD TT works OK in UK

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

and I doubt it is picking up the signal from Germany so it must be the UK signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely - the German time code (DCF77) transmits on a frequency of 77.5kHz, but the UK time code (MSF) is transmitted on a frequency of 60kHz - so 1 receiver won't be able to pick up both.

The German clock is suposed to be able to be received up to 2,000km away from Frankfurt/Main - so you're probably receiving that.

More info here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/lf-clocks/

• 2 weeks later...

The most likely reason for Audi not fitting the radio clock to UK models is that not all of the UK is within the direct range of the transmissions from the German DCF77 transmitter located near Frankfurt. Rather than produce a separate module just for the UK, they fit the same quartz clock used for the rest of the world. I would doubt if this clock is any cheaper to produce than the radio module.

Well if the bits are not there, I'll stick with the Quartz clock. Mine does seem to be quite accurate, It's just that a radio-controlled one would automatically change to summer time etc. The car clock is about the only clock I have in the house that's not radio-controlled so does not sort itself out.