Spinning out an age-old question..

sburke1

Will there be an R36? Reason I ask is that i'm days from ordering an R32..

I saw on other sites an apparent R36 in cold weather testing and well..I don't want to go ahead with an R32 if there may be something bigger and better on the way..

By the way, would the R36 be in mark 6 guise or a run-out mark 5?

Honest answer is nobody knows for sure. Since you are able to afford to buy a R32 brand new and If you can't resist waiting for the next "bigger and better" model, then, why not get a used R32 instead, there are quite a few good examples around at very good prices. So when the time comes, you could sell the R32 without loosing too much money, which would be far less than the depreciation from new.

IMO I don't think there will be another V6 Golf or Scirocco due to emissions and high taxation. I believe the "hottest" Golf / Scirocco in the future will be a tuned version of the FSFI engine similar to that in the new TT-S. I would assume that with some careful work they could get that to 300bhp as tuners are already offering maps on the S3 and Leon Cupra that give over 300bhp. Obviously the manufacurer has to be more conservative.

The current R32 is a brilliant car and there are plenty of good examples for sale due to the "panic" over taxation and high petrol prices.

My advice would be if you want one, just buy it as in today's world there is always something allegedly better coming along, in which case you wuld never buy anything

There is already a 3.6 VR engine with 4 motion in both the Passat (been out for at least two years) and Touareg, the latter having arrived more recently but sporting 280bhp!

Given my 3.2 Touareg has 220hp, it’s a massive increase!

As for emissions, these engines are now FSI, which should help their cause considerably.

So, my guess is that this will find its way into a small sports car with all wheel drive, just when is the question….

The current Mk 5 is due for replacement pretty ‘soon’ I guess (should we see it at the end of this year??), so I would imagine they would wait until then for the R36.

Actually having thought about it for a few minutes, it would make sense to release a R36 with 280bhp.

With Audi's S3 with 270hp and the new Subaru monstrosity raising the bar even further with a 300bhp hatch back, VW will probably have to raise their game.

I can't see them sitting on their hands and losing market share in the hot hatch market where they have just regained their crown....

[ QUOTE ]

Actually having thought about it for a few minutes, it would make sense to release a R36 with 280bhp.

With Audi's S3 with 270hp and the new Subaru monstrosity raising the bar even further with a 300bhp hatch back, VW will probably have to raise their game.

I can't see them sitting on their hands and losing market share in the hot hatch market where they have just regained their crown....

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have an order form for one of these, 'if' they do come out - I am Number 1 on the list with VW UK - But I cant see it happening myself......with the current thoughts on emmissions - As Ive said before, the Audi S3 engine in a 4WD golf would be superb 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

... and the new Subaru monstrosity raising the bar even further with a 300bhp hatch back ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oi! "Monstrosity" ?? znaika.gif

fekr.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes "Monstrosity"....fast monstrosity granted but a monstrosity none the less !! UHOH7.GIF