Audi behind the pack with 2.0 Tdi

danksy

Just read a review of the new A4 Vs BMW 3 series, Vs Merc

I couldn't help but be amazed at how far behind the BMW Audi is interms of outright performance.

And this is with the Audi weighing 45KG less than the BMW!

I think Audi has the BMW beaten for build quality but the performance gap leaves an awful lot to be desired.

Example

A4 2.0SE

141 bhp / 320NM

0-60 10.1

30-70 10.0

BMW 320dSE

177 bhp / 350NM

0-60 8.0

30-70 7.5

Would help if they tested like with like for a start. The A4 140 tdi is really the equivalent of the 318d 143hp not the 320d. Admittedly even then the Beemer's a bit quicker doing 0-62 in 9.3.

Did they happen to menion that a 320d se is £26,050 whereas an A4 2.0Tdi se is £22,850? I'd wait until the 170Tdi comes out before comparing.

The A3 already has the upgraded / tweaked 170BHp version of the 2.0TDi so not sure why this isn't available for the A4. In addition I also read that an all new 2.0TDi engine designed from the ground up to use common rail technology was due for release and would give 204BHp

Yeah to be fair the 2.0tdi with the red i at 170bhp will be the 320d competitor, the 318d is the competitor to this car.

Not sure what that official time is for the touring but I have got consistent times of 7.9 seconds from mine, that is using an AP22 race technology meter.

The interesting one will be the 204bhp 2.0tdi A4 vs the 204bhp 323d, the BMW is said to do it in around 6.8 seconds.

Pretty good for a car that easily returns 45-55mpg all day long. This is definitely the way to go with these new cars and makes the bigger ones harder and harder to justify.

So have Audi rushed the B8 A4 and caught themselves out by not having the common rail 2.0 TDi 200 ready in time? The 140 bhp pump duse is a good engine, but hardly a massive step forward in performance over the 2001 B6 A4 1.9 PD 130. As mentioned above, you would have thought the PD 170 would be available, but perhaps Audi don't want to sell the 140, 170 and 200 alongside each other - all 2.0 litres, hence would be confusing??

Have you driven the B8 with the new 2.0 tdi? It's much quieter & more refined than the PD version in the B7. If a 200+ps quattro version arrives I could be tempted to 'downsize' from my 3.0tdi what with the price of fuel thesedays tongue.gif

PS drove a 330d in Germany recently, nice engine, shame about interior quality & the auto box was sh1te smashfreakB.gif

The auto box is shite?? I'm very suprised about that, in what way?

It has been highly praised, it changes gear quicker than any other auto out there, the torque converter locks up quicker than any other box (which is what gives the manual and auto mpg figures the same consumption figures just about) and is pretty much regarded as the best auto box on the market right now, only bettered by BMWs own sport version available on some models, even quicker shits.

What didn't you like? I am surprised you say this coming from the Audi tiptronic, which although good, it is getting on a bit now.

[ QUOTE ]

So have Audi rushed the B8 A4 and caught themselves out by not having the common rail 2.0 TDi 200 ready in time? The 140 bhp pump duse is a good engine, but hardly a massive step forward in performance over the 2001 B6 A4 1.9 PD 130. As mentioned above, you would have thought the PD 170 would be available, but perhaps Audi don't want to sell the 140, 170 and 200 alongside each other - all 2.0 litres, hence would be confusing??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Audi have done what they usually do and released a car with a fairly limited options list so they can sell the same car to the same punter in a year's time when all the bits you wanted the first time around are available 169144-ok.gif

They are all the same, BMW start with just the 320d and the 330d only in SE spec, then offer the 318 and 335 and add the M-Sport.

Not sure if it is marketing or what, surely once they start to build a car they have full production? They don't suddenly build another factory to cope with S-Line orders etc.

Actually I was being a bit harsh there Gizze, the change was fine just didn't like the fiddly little selector, D N R too close together so too easy to mis-select, the chap I was sharing the driving with found the same thing, probably get used to it I suppose.Gear selector so much more user-friendly in the Audi. I really enjoyed driving the 330d, more fun to drive than my A4(especially on a track)but for everyday driving in the UK I prefer my quattro 169144-ok.gif

Is there much of a difference performance wise for the 'old' 2.0TDi which is in my A6 now and the newer version in the B8 A4? The emissions are a lot lower at 144 so it looks to have had some serious works done to it - question is do they help the noise (I find it a very noisy engine, especially after the Lexus derv) and top end performance as I find mine seems to lose its edge quickly once the revs go past 3,000?

Dug out the reference to the new 2.0TDi Common-rail engine that will develop 204BHp. However, no idea when the launch is planned.

Maybe they are trying to get rid of the 2.7TDi engine and increase the power of the 3.0TDi so that don't loose sales of the more expensive units?

[ QUOTE ]

With power output of 204 bhp and 400 Nm of torque, it gives the vehicle a sporty performance and a surprising degree of efficiency. On average the ultra-modern 2.0 TDI needs just 5.9 litres of diesel per 100 km. The diesel particulate filter and Bluetec system reduce soot and nitric oxide emissions effectively. Even today, the Audi Cross Coupé quattro satisfies the emissions standards of the future.

[/ QUOTE ]