My GTI is the most reliable car I have owned!

Tunner

IMHO the first 3 years of a cars life are often the most problematic of its life as it irons out any niggles and problems from the build. If its not reiliable after that initial period then its not a very good design. Its why its not often a great idea to buy new but buy late after the original owner has had any teething problems fixed.

Thats why i always give a brand new car a few years to settle before making any snap judgment on it.

Coming up to 2 years & 28,000 miles.Apart from 2 front tyres & 1 service it has only been to the dealers once to fix the (sometimes) folding mirrors. Compares well with my previous A3 which had brake light problems (scary, they went on & off at random) & a failed aircon compressor. Dealers were rubbish too!

After calling the AA out 5 times for dead battery and having traced the fault to the on board power control unit and having the index light fall clean out, everything seems ok, touch wood. The car does get dash baord rattles though, I just put up with it as its a great car to drive.

I've had mine nearly 2 years and I'm very happy. There is still no other car I'd rather own (well not in my price range anyway!).

I had to have the air conditioning compressor replaced after about 14 months as it stopped cooling.

Other than that everything is fine.... but I think I might be starting to get the white worm on my front driver's side Monza II. Damn!

[ QUOTE ]

I've had mine nearly 2 years and I'm very happy. There is still no other car I'd rather own (well not in my price range anyway!).

I had to have the air conditioning compressor replaced after about 14 months as it stopped cooling.

Other than that everything is fine.... but I think I might be starting to get the white worm on my front driver's side Monza II. Damn!

[/ QUOTE ]

mine only has 2 months left on the warranty and i have the white worm on my rear near side alloy which they were about to replace 12 months ago until they spotted the only kurbing on my wheels, done by the missus. At this point they said they wouldnt replace it until the corrosion was the same size as the curbing dung.gif So i've waited until today and they are about equal confused.gif vw have taken some pics and have emailed the appropriate people. Fingers crossed. I also noticed one spot on the drivers wheel which is so small only i would notice jump.gif They have taken a photo of that so again fingers crossed. My argument was that although it was small, once it starts you cant stop it spreading. And that will land me out of warranty with a grim rim Flush.gif

Sounds a bit harsh making you wait until it was the same size as the kerbing. I only noticed the worm a few weeks ago and it is still quite small and no one would know it was there except me. My car is due a service in the next couple of months so I might mention it then. I'm a bit disappointed as I've tried to keep the wheels nice and have regularly used AG Wheel Seal on them. Like you say, there's no way to stop it once it starts...

Yep wasn't happy at all. Tried to argue the kerbing was not the cause of the corrosion as it was the other side of the wheel. He said basically, he wouldnt swap it as vw would reject it and charge the dealership SAUER0421.GIF

He did agree to let me buy a wheel at cost price which is £204 instead of £390 but I dont fancy the chance it will more than likely corrode again

[ QUOTE ]

(edit...) He did agree to let me buy a wheel at cost price which is £204 instead of £390 but I dont fancy the chance it will more than likely corrode again

[/ QUOTE ]

I've bought 2 in the last 12 months due to some light kerbing. I paid £390 twice and to find out what VW get them for.... SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

mine only has 2 months left on the warranty and i have the white worm on my rear near side alloy which they were about to replace 12 months ago until they spotted the only kurbing on my wheels, done by the missus. At this point they said they wouldnt replace it until the corrosion was the same size as the curbing dung.gif So i've waited until today and they are about equal confused.gif vw have taken some pics and have emailed the appropriate people. Fingers crossed. I also noticed one spot on the drivers wheel which is so small only i would notice jump.gif They have taken a photo of that so again fingers crossed. My argument was that although it was small, once it starts you cant stop it spreading. And that will land me out of warranty with a grim rim Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Result, dealer has just called, 2 new wheels on the way jump.gif