Evo gives Lexus IS F five stars

Merlot

Postman brought my Evo this morning and there is an M3 vs IS F test. The Lexus gets five stars and the M3, of course, five as well. Having owned a new shape M3 for a couple of weeks last autumn I don't fully understand the latter but the Lexus with its auto box, better transaction price incl options (you don't need any) and more gentle imagine is getting me thinking..........

I went out in a new IS-F a couple of weeks ago & was amazed at it's ability on track. Bit surprised it would get Evo's 5 Star rating, but it was very very capable. Handling & brakes were the biggest surprise as i'd expected that to be AMG like but it wasn't.

As said the options list is non existant as every possible toy is standard. Did not see it up against any M3's but it could match the RS4 for top speeds (timing beam 172 MPH).

I rate Tiff Needell so far down the scale now, especially after driving like a total cock when he was testing the Impreza STI ona recent Fifth Gear.

I think people will buy the ISF in droves - it's very understated and not quite as in yer face as an M3 - a lot of people don't like the whole "image" thing that goes with owning an M3.

Couldn't give a toss about that myself, tbh, but they didn't do an E46 M3 Touring, so that wasn't an option ROLLEY~14.GIF

It looks a lot more bling than a stock IS, I'll give you that. But it's not the bling thing I meant - it's the overall BMW owning "image" that some people don't want.

You know what I mean, Wopps, not being let out at junctions, being called a w*nker, having a car that's faster than anything sideways around a track, beats an RS4 etc. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think the only image modern BMW's have over the competition is:

- Better handling

- modern/debatable looks

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found myself saying i own "just a diesel" instead of saying a bmw. it just makes me cringe a bit.

maybe i'll get used to it confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting. What were the seats like? They look like they have deep boolsters but are the seat backs themselves narrow or wide? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

All i recall is they were very comfy, but i have the buckets in my RS4, so most deeper & thicker (if you know what i mean?) seats seem comfy.

For me it was the understated i like as we all know the RS's, M's & AMG's are loud, fast & apart form the AMG's wink.gif they handle well & offer a sporting drive in an otherwise very practical motor. The Lexus offers probably more of the latter i.e. it's a very comfortable cruiser (possibly too comfortable), but boy can it go, turn & stop as well as it's competition. The lack of cost options is a massive factor, given to spec an Audi, Merc or Bimmer to the same levels would set them at least £10K more expensive than the Lexus.

Agree with the whole image thing, as for some reason (not my doing), the BMW M Brand does come across as more shouty & less Autophile respected than say RS or AMG, but it's purely an image thing. In my M5 i lost count of the number of needless challenges, the bird & knuckle shuffle actions i received, yet in the RS i've had none (same applied to previous RS6) & more often than not an appreciative nod or thumbs up is more the norm.

Still shocked Evo of all mags gave the Lexus 5 Stars, as that puts it level with the RS & M & although my very limited time with the IS indicated it was a very good motor, I'd not have thought Evo would like it.

The Gearbox is sublime & as quick if not quicker than anything else i've been in. If you watch Tiff's feature again, his only criticism of the box was those damned beeps on the up & down shift (much quiter in real life). That would annoy me to, but apart from on track, how often would you be bouncing off the limiter in everu gear on the roads?.

[ QUOTE ]

Still shocked Evo of all mags gave the Lexus 5 Stars, as that puts it level with the RS & M

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found Evo's ratings to be fairly inconsistent, but I don't think it necessarily puts the ISF at the same level as the RS and M - they've just given them all 5 out of 5, probably because they're all bloody good driver's cars (what I read Evo for, rather than how much boot space each one has or how much rearward vision they have!)