Rusty wheel hubs?

bazza_g

crazy.gif Are rusty wheel hubs a normal part of BMW ownership? My car is 6 months old with 6k on the clock and all four are looking less than pleasing to the eye - is there something I can have done to them or is it a trip to moan at the dealer?

cheers 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif cheers to you both, nice to see you online Grimbold 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif spraying them would still involve the use of jacks and taking wheels off so I'll give BMW a go first and tell them to sort it. I can't remember any of my other cars doing it - they can but say no 169144-ok.gif

i did my callipers with the same stuff and they are fine,honest,the hammerite stuff is realy good.

as far as im aware the bmw dealers are just painting the disc's if they get complaints about them,there is'nt a modified disc available.

i was planning on painting with hammerite tomorrow, as dealer washed their hands of it. but, here's the thing, there is no jack to get the wheel off and if i do find one, is there a jacking point?

also, is there a wheel brace? cause of the run flats.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i think i was told that is just what happens, and was showed various other cars in the same state.

[/ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif whats the age/mileage on yours? fecked if I'm accepting thats just what happens on a 6 month old £40k car smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me about it, car is 7 months old just gone 5000 miles this week and was specced to £39.6k!!

Bazza mine are the same as yours I bet. I bit of light rust coming through the very thin paint on the wheel hub.

I asked them to get them painted before it was delivered but they didn't saying they all do that and its perfectly normal. Lexus actually painted them for me without asking at a service once but BMW don't seem at all bothered.

I might get them done myself but like you I can't be bothered with jacking the car up and taking the wheels off to do it either. confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've showed the hubs to BMW and they explained that its a well known issues with the 1 series and new 3 series - BMW UK have instructed dealers not to accept sorting the rust as warranty work. The hub is part of the brake disc and therefore a 'consumable' and not warranty covered.

My only option is to paint it myself or contact BMW UK and ask for my particular case to be taken on merit.

They added that if painting myself don't use Hammerite (the temp resistance isn't high enough) - use something a spray called Wirth/Virth?

Agreed, I've just got off the phone with possibly the most abrupt woman at BMW UK customer services that tried to put the blame back on the dealer before claiming that it was the UK highways agency fault for putting too much corrosive salt down on the roads.....she really did make me feel like an inconvenience rather than a customer - well done BMW...

I told her that the car was built for sale in the UK and should be able to withstand our climate, rain, salt on the roads etc without rusting like a 20 year old Renault 5.

She's contacting the service manager at Synter's again and getting them to call me - I'm not holding out much hope and reckon this is going to be bounced between BMW UK and the dealers, none of which want to take responsibility.