What to buy for around 10k?

markw99

Just sold my 3 series touring, and am on the lookout for a new car. Want to spend about 10k or thereabouts. I live in London so something smaller might be the answer, but doesn't have to be. Don't mind if it's 3/5dr or the fuel, had a few suggestions already: Mini Cooper S, Civic Type R, Fabia VRS, S3 and one mate reckons I should get an Elise! Any help appreciated. Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

What are you looking for really, is it just for around town or is it going to be for a bit of weekend fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus - how much flex is there in the budget?

Rigid 10k or is there a bit of upwards movement (within reason).

I can't imagine that the Civic is that much fun in town (having had one), plus it does have front suspension issues - again which might be an issue on battered roads.

Early '06 Focus ST's are probably knocking around the £11 - £12.5k range if bought privately & if you're not anti the image etc (well you did say you weren't bothered about fuel @ it would be low 20s in urban terms at best EEK2.GIFgrin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

I struggled to fit a pack of 9 toilet rolls in the boot of the Elise yesterday, so not the best choice if you need any practicality.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, you've gone all bloody practical on us already. Feck the car having a small boot - just don't use as many sheets of bogroll every time you go and you can use less, so you don't need to buy as much.

There you go. Problem solved 169144-ok.gif

I'll use it primarily at weekends, and on longer journeys as I cycle to work, or if I'm feeling lazy drive in. Yeah, can move upwards from 10k up to 11k but that's gotta be it. Not too bothered about the fuel but needs to be reasonable, had an S4 and that was just too thirsty!

Thanks, seems plenty of choice! Tried a Cooper S Works last night, pretty unimpressive I thought. Rattled and shook and felt really high up. Last time I drove a Cooper really liked it, so not sure what happened there.

S2000 are pretty cool, think it would have to be in black leather as the red is a bit mad. RX8 could be a good idea too, my mate suggested a 350Z but at that price seem to be imports

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Crossfire

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, not the Crossfire. dung.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they are not great but they are flipping cheap! The interiors are dreadful, but you do get a proven reliable Mercedes engine, and interesting looks for not a lot of cash.

£10,000 gets you a 2004 car with 15,000 miles - which is a bargin!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Crossfire

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, not the Crossfire. dung.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they are not great but they are flipping cheap! The interiors are dreadful, but you do get a proven reliable Mercedes engine, and interesting looks for not a lot of cash.

£10,000 gets you a 2004 car with 15,000 miles - which is a bargin!

[/ QUOTE ]

And I bet its worth £3.50 about 3 years later... I think the Crossfire is pants, even the name is pants, your other suggestions were spot on though 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

M5

[/ QUOTE ]

M1

M25

A14

A607

coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tongue.gif

For £10k you can get a 2000 BMW M5, a 2000 Alpina B3 or a 2000 Alpina B10. Maybe worse economy than the S4 but great cars none the less

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif

The E39 M5 would be a good choice, but not much cop for city driving as mentioned somewhere else in this post.

Other end of the spectrum, and nearly as much fun for different reasons, Smart Roadster ?

Smart roadster that is a joke right ? Death trap on wheels..

I met someone sking a month or so ago that had near enough every bone in their body broken in a crash at 60mph whilst passenger in a smart....

You couldnt pay me to drive one.....

Yeah, did seem like it had a lot! Perhaps not quite as much as the Focus RS (the previous shape in blue). Think I got an OK deal out of it, looking forward to getting it! Saw an M5 for about 11k which would have been great, just too thirsty