Pranged my car - Insurance Question

_Tone_

Hi Guys

I pranged my car a few days ago - went into the back of a Shogun with a towbar and being in a low down car - went under the shogun and the towbar split open the front and peeled the bonnet back like a tin!

Anyway - insured via A-Plan with NIG.

I received a loan car from the body shop and was told by the Broker that both cars require insurance and therefore I'm having to cough up £25 a week for a 1.2 Corsa.

Is this normal or am I being "had"?

If you have recently had a prang - how long did it all take before you got your car back, I am told that the insurance companies drag their heels as much as possible these days?

Thanks

Tone

Hi Guys

I pranged my car a few days ago - went into the back of a Shogun with a towbar and being in a low down car - went under the shogun and the towbar split open the front and peeled the bonnet back like a tin!

Anyway - insured via A-Plan with NIG.

I received a loan car from the body shop and was told by the Broker that both cars require insurance and therefore I'm having to cough up £25 a week for a 1.2 Corsa.

Is this normal or am I being "had"?

If you have recently had a prang - how long did it all take before you got your car back, I am told that the insurance companies drag their heels as much as possible these days?

Thanks

Tone

Nig provide an insured courtessey car through if your using one of their approved repairers. They tend to use good ones too, and give good guarantees on work, and money back if not repaired to within their timescales.

here you go, here's the FAQ on their courstesy cars

http://www.nig-uk.com/pmotorfaq.html

pay particular attention to this bit

"2. Courtesy Cars

If one of our recommended repairers is chosen to repair your vehicle, a courtesy car will be provided free of charge for the duration of the repairs. However, please note that if your vehicle is a Total Loss you will not be entitled to a courtesy car.

Insurance for the courtesy car will be arranged between the Recommended Repairers and us (you will not have to become involved at all). All drivers presently covered on your policy will be able to use the courtesy car.

You can of course select your own repairer, however, the benefits and services mentioned above would not be guaranteed. If you want to use your own repairer, please call our claims advisers on 0845 607 1626. You may be required to obtain estimates before repairs can be authorised."

either you chose somewhere else to repair it, or your broker is pulling a fast one.

Thanks for all that data mate.

Unfortunately I decided not to use their body shop and went for an official Porsche approved bodyshop.

We have fully comp insurance (probably obvious on a 1 year old Porker) and that my understanding is that if the car is in the bodyshop its insured by them?

If the car is now insured by the bodyshop then the courtesy car should be the car insured under my policy on a temporary basis, at least thats how I and tghe bodyshop saw it?

Are we both mad?

Thanks again!

Tone

Thanks for all that data mate.

Unfortunately I decided not to use their body shop and went for an official Porsche approved bodyshop.

We have fully comp insurance (probably obvious on a 1 year old Porker) and that my understanding is that if the car is in the bodyshop its insured by them?

Thanks again!

Tone

You never mentioned it was a 1 yr old Porker.

Besides, I'm sure it has been known to have TPFT on them! :roflmao:

£6k sounds about right.

My argument would be that the use of a Porsche-approved shop on a 1 year old Porker is an absolute must, if for no other reason than to retain the Porsche warranty. Therefore, for a car of this nature their scheme should include these as Recommended Repairers else the car simply cannot be repaired to its previous (Porsche-warranted) state.

Alternatively, the equivalent of £1300 pa for a 1.2 Corsa is a rip-off. I'd get quotes for this type of car and use them as evidence. OK, add on a premium for a short-term policy, but £25 ... too high.

Alternatively, take the view that it's 2 weeks ... £50 ..... sod it and fight more lucrative battles :grin:

Patently - it aint premium it's an admin fee, a charge for doing the work so the annualisation is not right. Plus the guy has gone outside of his policy arrangements. If an OPC bodyshop was a big part of his demands and needs then he should have bought Porsche GB insurance.

Oh right - got confused by the £25 per week comment.

Goes to prove - never trust any comment I make about insurance. All I know about the subject is that whatever the question is, the answer is that I lose :(+++