I need new tyres

jpullen

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATS quoted me, Friday 6th June 08, £463 for a set of four 235/40 18 95Y Extra Load for either Dunlop Sportmaxx or Sport01 which is very good - 33% off special offer.

I used SportMaxx on my Stage2 Revo'd 2.0TDi (203bhp on the dyno) Sportback a couple of years ago and last year on my previous 3.0 TDi quattro cab and really liked them - they wore pretty well. Tbh I'd like another set of Mich Pilots but just can't bring myself to stump up nearly twice the price....

Just got a quoted for a set of 4 (who said Quattro was a good idea then???) Kuhmo Exctas in 235/40 18 95Y (extra load) and they were £459.75 so as close as makes no difference to the £463 for a set of the Dunlop Sport Maxx - so another set of Sport Maxx it is.

Whilst researching I came across this excellent Dunlop site that gives a comparative table for wet and dry handling, resistance to acquaplaning, winter traction, tread life and noise/comfort. Clearly subjective in favour of Dunlop but useful none the less for comparing other Dunlop tyres - if only other manufacturers would do the same.... SP Sport Maxx

My R32 came with Sportmaxx and although the wear rate was OK I didn't think much of the performance.

I've just replaced the rear ones at the weekend with F1 Asymmetrics and IMO they are much better although they are a bit hairy until they have bedded in.

I managed to get a pair of 225/40 by 18s (XL) for £214 from my local HiQ.

Just got a quoted for a set of 4 (who said Quattro was a good idea then???) Kuhmo Exctas in 235/40 18 95Y (extra load) and they were £459.75 so as close as makes no difference to the £463 for a set of the Dunlop Sport Maxx - so another set of Sport Maxx it is.

460 for exstas.....no way! should be more like 65 each???

I've just replaced the rear ones at the weekend with F1 Asymmetrics and IMO they are much better although they are a bit hairy until they have bedded in.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found that - for the first couple of days I was thinking "I've made a mistake buying these, why do people rave about them?" but now they've bedded in they've added great grip and handling to the better ride and lower road noise compared to the Michelin PS2s I had before.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found that - for the first couple of days I was thinking "I've made a mistake buying these, why do people rave about them?" but now they've bedded in they've added great grip and handling to the better ride and lower road noise compared to the Michelin PS2s I had before.

When I bought my first set I put them on the front and thought they wre pretty good from the off. The pair i bought at the weekend were put on the back and twice in the first 50miles I've felt the rear lose grip at relatively slow speeds to the point where i stopped to make sure I didn't have a puncture.

Now with a few hundred miles on them they are spot on+++

I would also say they are quieter than the Dunlops but that could just be down to worn Dunlops vs new Goodyears

Well ATS couldn't get the Dunlop Sport Maxx - more research has revealed that the Sport Maxx has been replaced by the new Sport Maxx TT which is an asymmetric tread pattern tyre which is supposedly quieter and harder wearing with better wet and dry performance than its predecessors....yeah right!

I have ordered some from Tyres from Event Mobile Tyres - Mobile Tyre Fitting for Car, 4x4 and Run Flat Tyres who fit at ones home or place of work....I'll let you know!!

Event-tyres came today and fitted my new Dunlop Sportmaxx TT rubber - outstanding service and with a spotless well equipped van too.

The tyre-fitter was a proper VW trained techie who decided on a career change - absolutely top job - even fitted the lightest spot markers on the tyre nearest to the valve. The spots indicate the lightest point in the tyre's dynamic balance so in theory reduce the amount of balance weights required. I can't remember the last time I had tyres fitted when that was done.

He was even happy for me to clean off the sticky residue (a petrol soaked cloth does the deed nicely) from under the old wheel weights before the wheels were balanced - RS6 wheels look nice when they are clean inside don't they?

Excellent service all round at a great price.

• 2 weeks later...

had fitted today 4 no 235/40 x 18 95Y XL Kumho Exctas KU31 for the grand sum of £355.96 inclusive of vodka and tonic, vales & balancing.

First thing that hit me was how quiet they are over Good Year Assymetrics, hardly a bean of road noise.

I will get the shine off them & give my opinion on how they hang on.

As far as wear is concerned if I can manage 11,000 out of the set I will be quids in.

460 for exstas.....no way! should be more like 65 each???
Had 2 Assymetrics put on my front of my 8 month old A4 Avant 2.0 TDI sp ed (170) last week after the original 2 were scrubbed after only 8500k miles. They cost £250 fitted and they feel great!

why did they go so quick, can you replace front two without back two being touched on a vw make and are the assymetrics ok with that too

No idea why they went so quick?

The tyre geezer said the car was balanced correctly so put it down to hard driving which is a load of ****e.

The tyres that came with the car were continental sportcontact 2 (235/45/18) so avoid them like the plague in my opinion.

Still got 4mm on back 2 so they can stay on for another 6 months.

I'm told I should get upto 20k from the Good years so we shall see…

No idea why they went so quick?

The tyre geezer said the car was balanced correctly so put it down to hard driving which is a load of ****e.

The tyres that came with the car were continental sportcontact 2 (235/45/18) so avoid them like the plague in my opinion.

Still got 4mm on back 2 so they can stay on for another 6 months.

I'm told I should get upto 20k from the Good years so we shall see…

I managed 16K out of a set GY Assey's rotating them at 8ishk. When they came off Thursday they were shot to bits.

I don't think I give the car that much stick.

Hi Guys

Whilst I have good tread on my A4 I seem to have Continental Sport Contact 3's on the front and MPS omn the rear.

More confusing is that my spare is a 15" wheel (steel) with a dunlop tyre..

Are your spare full size spares or a smaller steel wheel?

I have the 18" RS6 type highly polished wheels as per attatchment.

Thanks

Tone

post-5156-137914417913_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your input gents, going to buy the EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC) FP. Can you point me to the best place for price and fitment please........best price I can find is £140 each and I need two, thanks

The cheapest I could find was £107 each for 225/40 X 18 from HiQ.