Todays Fuel Protests

steelwind101

HiHi

Anyone effected by the Hauliers protestest in London or the M4 today?

Im wondering if the goverment will think twice about the 2p increase (already delayed until the Autumn) and also if they will consider not going back to older cars for the tax inreases next year.

It seems like the above are two major sticking points the Convervatives and plenty of Labours own (rebelious) MPs seem to have on there mind.

The way i see it, Gordie must change and make changes like this (against his own views) and become a sucess or surely die doing it his normal its own way.

Geoff

There was an interesting piece in the times yesterday (or might have been sunday) about the increase in fuel prices and how much extra the government are now making in taxes, more than they budgeted for. The calculations basically showed that they could drop 10p a litre off the price of petrol at the pump and still be bringing in more than they had budgeted for.

Anyone reckon that's going to happen then?

Given that tax on road fuel is as a percentage of the selling price, the Govt doesn't need to bother with a 2p rise - they're already getting more than that compared to prices six weeks ago.

Yes, the Govt will still try for it - feck, can you imaging them having to make THREE u-turns - 10p tax, car tax increases for pre 2001 cars and now this.

Wishful thinking but I don't think so. I think Brown should now just feck off into the sunset and let someone else come in, just so they can call an election so we can get these muppets out of power.

....Wonderful link, Dave +++ -

"Basing a system of tax on how much carbon dioxide you produce is fine at the moment, because many people live on fair trade food made from mashed-up copies of The Guardian, and use fart-filled, low-energy light bulbs"

"What I'd do for sheer perverse pleasure is buy a '73 Range Rover. I can think of nothing quite so glorious as pulling up alongside some silly sod in a Toyota Pious, who's paid £250 for his tax, while I, with my huge 3.5-litre V8, have paid bugger all.

Of course, there are going to be a few problems with cars from back then. A Mk3 Cortina, for example - even the excellent 2000E - did not come with electric seats, satnav, power steering, aircon, electric door mirrors or, come to think ofit any door mirrors at all. It wasn't that fast either.

But I happen to know it's very easy to replace the Ford four with a big V8. And still Darling won't be able to help himself to any of your money"

post-10081-137914416377_thumb.jpg

I have been watching Sky News and I could not believe it costs a trucker £766 to fill up a lorry!! Is that for real!

I would wholly fecked off having to pay that as well - especially when the forign drivers come here with their own fuel and pay nout in tax at all - we seem to provide Europe with a lot of funding and we seem to be governed by a silly number of laws - should fuel costs not be aligned?

As per other comments Brown will have to make another U Turn - and he should def get lost - into the sunset? Nooo elsewhere where its dark and cold would be better for that feckwit....

You can't really expect MPs to understand as the majority of their "essentials" are covered as expenses.

Nice if you can get it:grin:

If the government were to back peddle and freeze the price of fuel to £1 a liter - would it make everyone here happy? It would certainly make me happy. Considering that 3 years ago, £1 a liter would have fekin choked me on the spot.

Perhaps Gordon Brown and his cronies should be made to pay their own ways - only then they might understand exactly how this country feels. As far as i'm concerned, the government has jumped on the 'green bandwagon' and used it as an excuse to get more money out of the very people that fill their fat pockets and pay their way through life. This country's carbon footprint will have a minuscule effect on the overall c02 impact on the environment when it all goes to pot .

I have been watching Sky News and I could not believe it costs a trucker £766 to fill up a lorry!! Is that for real!

Spoke to a mate at the weekend who has twin tanks on his Artic. £1500 to fill up now. :eek:

Remember as well the Govenment will make huge amounts on Corporation Tax due to the obscene profits the oil companies are now making.

A quote from sky news:

The total CO2 emissions in the UK is around 560 Million tons. Thats including all major sources such as power stations, vehicles homes etc. China is currently switching on one powerstation per week, with the average emissions being aproximately 20 Million tons per year. So, if every man woman and child in the UK stopeed using their cars alltogether, stopped using energy at home, and all but stopped breathing, the planet will still be worse off by Five Hundred Million tons of CO2 by theend of the year. Raising taxes based on "green" initiatives is the latest smoke screen used by this bunch of incompetent fools we loosely term a government.

And further reading of the comments below, some people are suggesting that everyone refuses to pay the road tax.. could make things interesting!

FW: PERSONAL - PRICE OF PETROL [scanned]

Perhaps it's my understanding that's screwed but that's actually not going to help much is it? I thought the fundamental problem was people buying the crude at inflated rates, which in turn gets hugely exacerbated by the tax lumped on top of it?

I'm so bloody confused now as to what's caused the price to get so high can someone explain in simple terms? I thought it was the chinese and indians buying loads of oil combined with the sharks on the stock exchange vastly inflating the prices then our riduclous levels of tax in this country amplifying it. If this is the case (which i'm still not 100% sure on) then surely the oil companies don't actually have a mssive amount of control over the price at the pump?

If i'm completely wrong don't all shout at once...:confused:

....Surely it's the government that needs 'hitting' about this and not the fuel companies - As Dave's graph illustrates, it's the Fuel Duty which is the real problem.

:mad: Indeed its the fuel duties that a killing the motorist - if you take off the government fuel duty and VAT then the fuel companies manage to get the oil out of the ground, transport it around the world, refine it, transport it to the petrol station and still sell it to us for less that the price of a litre of bottled water :ffs:

FW: PERSONAL - PRICE OF PETROL [scanned]

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting £1 1 9.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £ 2.00 a litre. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc., i.e., boycott BP and Esso

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

And if everyone gives me a pound I will share it with you lot

this has been round umpteen times. Oilco's make very little from Petrol sales.

Interesting this on the bbc today

The green party do not support the vehicle exise duty being back dated to older cars!

Greenpeace executive director John Sauven said the plan to bring in higher taxes on cars which people have already bought "gives green taxes a bad name".

He said higher road tax for the most polluting cars should only apply to new cars, so people could buy a greener car - rather than being forced to pay for a choice made in the past.

Which is what some of us have been since since this was done.

The likes of BP make a fortune from the fourcourt shops actually - far more profit selling us a bottle of water for 1.50 (500ml) rather then some fuel!

If you look at a lot of petrol stations they are all flogging more stuff then fuel - all of them have started concessions.

I dont shop at BP anyway - far too much round my way, and Esso - dont use them either so boycotting them would be easy!

We need a plan though!

Tone

The likes of BP make a fortune from the fourcourt shops actually - far more profit selling us a bottle of water for 1.50 (500ml) rather then some fuel!

If you look at a lot of petrol stations they are all flogging more stuff then fuel - all of them have started concessions.

I dont shop at BP anyway - far too much round my way, and Esso - dont use them either so boycotting them would be easy!

We need a plan though!

Tone

No point targetting the petrol stations; they will just close and we'll just have to go else where. Govt is where we need to target.

A quote from Lost-it Brown:

"The cause of rising prices is clear: growing demand and too little supply to meet it both now and - perhaps of even greater significance - in the future"

Maybe he should be set to ask the people if they want a reduction in fuel prices and reduction services! Let us choose which one goes!