Lowering Golf GTI

theybe

Hi everyone.

I was wondering whether anyone has lowered their GTI and if so, advice on lowered springs would be appreciated.

I am also interested to know what the ride is like after lowering it.

Would I need to just buy lowered springs with the exisitng suspension or would I also need to but the shocks as well.

Thanks

I replace by stock springs with Eibach ProKit springs over stock dampners. Works a treat, lowers by 15mm, which believe me does make a difference visually, and not at the cost of the ride comfort either - just slightly firmer than stock.

Then there's the likes of coilovers which are the complete replacement package. Koni make some intelligent dampners called FSD's, which along with some Eibach springs or similar, will give you supreme handling. What are you looking to get out of you car? Pure visuals? Visuals and real driveability? A lot also depends on your budget. +++

You can use lowered springs from companies like Koni (well known German brand) and not change your shocks, but the ride won't be anything like standard, because the shocks will constantly be at between 60 and 80% of their travel range.

You'd be best advised to get a spring and shock absorber combination - try awesome-gti.co.uk for some ideas of costs.

A lot of it depends on your budget. If you want to do it "properly", then get some coilovers, which replace the springs and shock absorbers and give you full adjustability in terms of height and the rebound of the shock absorber, or the "firmness" of the ride.

I can recommend the KW kits, but they're up to £1200.

I've just replaced the Apex coilovers with a FK Sport Plus kit (a rebranded Koni kit) on my GTI because it gives me that much more adjustability and the ride is great.

You can use lowered springs from companies like Koni (well known German brand) and not change your shocks, but the ride won't be anything like standard, because the shocks will constantly be at between 60 and 80% of their travel range.

You'd be best advised to get a spring and shock absorber combination - try awesome-gti.co.uk for some ideas of costs.

A lot of it depends on your budget. If you want to do it "properly", then get some coilovers, which replace the springs and shock absorbers and give you full adjustability in terms of height and the rebound of the shock absorber, or the "firmness" of the ride.

I can recommend the KW kits, but they're up to £1200.

I've just replaced the Apex coilovers with a FK Sport Plus kit (a rebranded Koni kit) on my GTI because it gives me that much more adjustability and the ride is great.

How much is your car lowered by?

Any chance you can post a side view pic?

Have a chat with them as well. Give them your budget and they'll give you some sound advice.

I didn't tell you this, but when you've decided what to buy, get it from Venom Motorsport Performance Car Parts - Black Diamond Brakes / FK Suspension / Eibach Suspension / Weitec Suspension / Supersport Suspension / Magnex Exhausts - cheapest web supplier (trust me that I've spent hours trawling!) and great service +++

You don't want to go too low, theybe, IMO as it becomes unpractical for everyday driving, unless you're going to track the car that is. Closing the gap between tyre and wheel arch can be done without compromising the ride comfort, hanfdling and still looking like the car's been dropped. Let us know what you went for. +++

KW are working on a version of their High-Lift-System which is suitable for the Mk5 GTI. Lifts up to 45mm and can be retro fitted to any KW coilover (I'm about to have KW VWR V3's) Perfect for indoor carpark ramps and the worst of the speed bumps. The Mk5 GTI has a long front overhang.

My KoniFSD's have failed after only 55k miles.

+++

I think that's just an excuse for extracting more money from people. The KW V3s are great - I've had them on 3 cars now. But if you remember, my R32 was bloody low, esp with the front splitter and I never had a problem with ramps or speed bumps - just take it easy.