VW/Mondial Extended Warranty premiums: do they really want the business?

ludwig

They want £560 (Option 1) for and Extended Warranty to cover my 3 year old MkV Golf GTI with 28k on the clock!

Do you think they are serious?

Do they really want the business, are VWs now that unreliable?

That's 37% up on last years premium!!

The VW email to me last week said (sorry about the mis-aligned table):

"Thank you for requesting further details to purchase the Extended All Component / Named Component Warranty with Roadside Assistance for Volkswagen customers.

Please find attached a KeyFacts Policy Summary which details the warranty and assistance cover benefits and limitations. Also enclosed are other important documents you should read before you decide to purchase cover.

The levels of cover available are:

Option 1 – All Component for low mileage drivers 12 months cover or 15,000 miles cover which ever occurs first, to start at the end of your car’s existing warranty period. **

Option 2 – All Component for higher mileage drivers 12 months unlimited mileage cover to start at the end of your car's existing warranty period.*

Option 3 - Named Component Cover 12 months unlimited mileage cover to start at the end of your car's existing warranty period.*

If your Volkswagen’s engine size is, or model type: ALL COMPONENT

15,000 mileage Option 1 ALL COMPONENT

Unlimited mileage Option 2 NAMED COMPONENT

Unlimited mileage Option 3

Up to 1400cc £474 £522 £316

Between 1401 and 1800cc £464 £511 £350

Between 1801 and 2000cc £560 £621 £377

Vehicles over 2001cc £937 £1,054 £466

Touareg, Phaeton £1,392 £1,575 £748 "

To be fair, the £560 does include Roadside Assistance (£89), but still, ......

Ludwig

My warranty doesn't expire until May.

I was just enquiring before Xmas and that was the price they quoted me. I wasn't going to take it out until April time and even asked was there any benefit by purchasing early and is the price likely to go up by much between then and April. The aswerto both was no :ffs:

Where did you enquire so that they send you all the information?

Edited by Cuprabob

Surely there's other companies ofering extended warranties? I'll do a search as I've read about this very topic here before. My GTI will be 3 years old in December, so it would help to be prepared.

Surely there's other companies ofering extended warranties? I'll do a search as I've read about this very topic here before. My GTI will be 3 years old in December, so it would help to be prepared.

There are other companies such as Warranty Direct and even Tesco but the cover isn't as comprehensive as the VW one.

I called VW today about this and they emailed me the information similar to what you got but the prices were much lower and more in line with what my local said.

Dear MR White

Thank you for requesting further details to purchase the Extended All Component Warranty and Roadside Assistance for Volkswagen customers.

Please find attached a Key Facts Policy Summary which details the warranty and assistance cover benefits and limitations. Also enclosed are other important documents you should read before you decide to purchase cover.

The levels of cover available are:

Option 1 – for low mileage drivers

12 months cover or 15,000 miles cover whichever occurs first, to start at the end of your car’s existing warranty period. **

Option 2 – for higher mileage drivers

12 months unlimited mileage cover to start at the end of your car's existing warranty period.*

Your Volkswagen’s engine size or model type:

15,000 mileage

Option 1

Unlimited mileage Option 2

Up to 1400cc

£268

£306

Between 1401 and 1800cc

£400

£434

Between 1801 and 2000cc

£442

£477

Vehicles over 2001cc

£649

£693

Touareg, Phaeton

£941

£1,067

To take out cover, please call 0845 641 9768 where you can pay by credit or debit card. Alternatively, complete the application form attached and post to:

CupraBob, re. "Where did you enquire so that they send you all the information?"

They (VW Approved Warranty Administration Services, Croydon 0845 641 9768) sent me a one page reminder that my "warranty is due to expire soon."

No prices at all were mentioned.

They said if I would like more information, _I_ should email or telephone them (good salesmen right?)

I did email them and asked for prices, and that is what they sent me.

Ludwig

Jon if you PM me your email address I'll forward all the documentation they sent through to give you a head start. I think if you can get your GTI covered for £442/£477 then it has to be worth it just for peace of mind with he DSG.

CupraBob, re. "Jon if you PM me your email address I'll forward all the documentation ..."

I'll PM you too so that you can send me the doc too, if that's ok with you.

Your quote of £442 is £118 less than they quoted me!

How can that be?

Do they know what they are doing?

I remember last year, there was an error in their table of prices. I paid much less than the table actually said.

Anyway, I'm going for it.

At £442 that is 8% more than I paid last year. Remember this £442 includes Roadside Assistance worth £89, right? So you are paying £353, agreed?

Just one thing CupraBob, this £442 is for ALL COMPONENT up to 15,000 mileage, isn't it?

Ludwig

I phoned the number on the VW webpage and they sent me an email yesterday with the information including the prices which as you see are much lower than the prices you were given. I also notice I didn't get offered the named component option ?

PM me your email and I'll forward.

Edited by Cuprabob

Jon if you PM me your email address I'll forward all the documentation they sent through to give you a head start. I think if you can get your GTI covered for £442/£477 then it has to be worth it just for peace of mind with he DSG.

PM sent. Cheers, CB +++

• 1 month later...

So has anyone here actually had a claim processed - would be interesting to hear how that went?

My warranty on the R32 is out at the end of August and I'm thinking seriously about it. Seems prices are not consistent? Wonder what is going on?

I'm just about to take it out for my R32 because I do a relatively high mileage and I'm nervous about DSG and Haldex.

Prices I got quoted direct and dealer were £693 for all component unlimited mileage. For around £50 less you can get a 15k limited mileage version.

I think the difference in prices comes from whether you buy within warranty for the 4th year or to extend for the 5th year, which I believe is more expensive.

Does the "all component" cover everything except consumables, CB? I average 9k per annum and am giving serious thought to extending my warranty come the end of the year. From what you've read, what do you reckon the pitfalls/negatives are?

Have a look at the information I sent through to you. As far as I read and understand it covers everything excluding consumables, trim etc.. Infact it even covers the OEM stereo which is very rare.

As I said before I normally don't bother with warranties but if anything goes wrong with the DSG or the Haldex you could easily pay for itself and then again if nothing goes wrong it's money lost. It's just insurance afterall. Also remember it includes VW assist which is £89.

IMO for the GTI it is really good value as it's a few £100 cheaper than the R32 plus the 15k miles policy would do you.

You pays you're money you tkes your choice +++

Normally I would be looking at my next car but I'm not as financially secure as I was when I bought the R32 plus I really do love the R32, thankfully +++