National Speed limit soon to be 50mph

mixit

Choked on my cornflakes reading this today.

What is more disturbing than than most (but not all) 60 mph roads having 50 mph limits, is the planned major increase in average speed cameras. I am firmly convinced that these achieve f*ck all in terms of road safety and are just cash generators. Fixed cameras in busy hotspots yes, Average cameras on motorways no.

Just another example of how everything the present government does is based on total control of every aspect of the lives of it's citizens, revenue/cash generation being king (all to fund various pointless wastes of vast sums of money in totally unimportant areas) and most worrying of all, dragging everything down to the lowest common denominator rather than actually trying to improve things.:(:mad:

Oh and rank stupidity goes without saying.

Do they not realise that by definition accidents (and ultimately some deaths) will always happen and the best way to reduce these is to increase ability and not regress back to the days of the man with the red flag and a 4mph limit. I guess not :ffs:

Much more of this and it will be emigration time - who wants to be the last man standing in the game of pass the sh**ty stick? Not me!

It sounds like the government trying to hit targets and fix things on the cheap again.

Why not improve driver education to make the roads safer? Because it's not as easily monitored or measured as speed reduction.

If there are known accident black spots then why not invest money in making them safer? Because it will cost too much.

Where will it all end?

Why not improve driver education to make the roads safer? Because it's not as easily monitored or measured as speed reduction.

Because it costs money to do that........not much outlay and great income from the fixed cameras...........

Where Captain Gatso when you need him!

Also need to see if this Speed Check Service company have done any lobbying, and donations or got any MP/civil servants advising or on the board with any interests whatsoever.

Try going out on any B road (and some A roads) in this country with the national speed limit without being held up by some kn0b doing 40mph. I defy you!

Ive found most people have become Sunday drivers on open roads lately! So doing 60 is a thing of the past anyway :(

Also, they will need to rigourously enforce the limit by fining speeders to pay for all the new 50mph signs and campaigns to tell us about it! Nice move.

Edited by sotty

There was a good rant in the Times editorial this morning. Basically saying will 10mph make much difference? As we keep getting told 30mph is safer than 40mph so why not make all roads 30mph?

And the fact this is ALL roads. Not reduce the speed on dangerous roads and keep the rest at a sensible speed. Note this was based on a study from the company selling the SPECS.

Did it used to be all roads were NSL apart from those that were deamed dangerous and they'd be 30's, 40's etc.

How long will it be before every where is 30 ... unless those in power deam that it's safe enough to be a NSL.

They've gotta get our cash somehow! :mad:

:( What can you say, inept just doesn't come close.

We all see Mr&Mrs 40 on the roads don't we? You know the ones that do 40 past a school, 40 on the motorway and yes 40 on the back roads. They don't have a clue about what is going on around them or why people are getting annoyed when they are asleep in the middle lane of a motorway. They even flash you as you past them on a back road, I think this is to help you see more as you drive away from them whilst in their comma.

This has been on the cards for a long time, deaths do stay very high on country roads as people still try to enjoy their cars and bikes. Health and safety gone a little to far, well when was the first time we read that hey.

Me I think I will get a slower cheaper road car (because whats the point of having anything faster if this is going to happen) and get myself a track / weekend car to enjoy. +++

And then theres articles like the one on BBC yesterday saying how london is slower than the 1940's...well with stupid rules/regulations/roadworks and speedlimits, what do you expect!

Guess we'll just have to invent some sort of mirror that blinds the cameras :grin:

And then theres articles like the one on BBC yesterday saying how london is slower than the 1940's...well with stupid rules/regulations/roadworks and speedlimits, what do you expect!

Guess we'll just have to invent some sort of mirror that blinds the cameras :grin:

I'm amazed that theres no company selling an undetectable "Changing" number plate somewhere in an underground bunker. There will have to be inventions to prevent SPECS reading plates, its the only way forward. With every measure there has to be a counter measure.

There needs to be an NPR ( Number Plate Removal ) day. Just once a month will be enough to screw the system. If every motorist in the Uk took part there'd be nothing this fascist government and its plod minions could do about it. Maybe we could get a quick release system for our front plate. :grin:

I think the best thing they can do is remove speed limit signs from majority of A/rural-A and B roads.

Possibly remove all white lines/markings also, except to warn of junctions and sharp bends.

People will then use caution/common sense more and fatalities will decrease. And in good weather/conditions shorter journey times as speed limit = NSL

I'm amazed that theres no company selling an undetectable "Changing" number plate somewhere in an underground bunker.

Like this -

Or this -

I reckon I could knock one up dead easily from spare RC car parts I have cluttering up the garage!

Just get it linked up to a scamra detector and you're going to prison for a long time.

Edit for reality - unless you're driving a silver Mondeo with no other distinguishing features and drive with a bag on your head, they'll simply track you down by make / model / area. The two cars in the videos are great examples, how many red 2 door E30s are there, add the unusual badges and a clear pic of the drivers face and they will find you sooner or later. Same for the black Monaro, I bet there aren't many of those. Alternatively, some eagle-eyed plod / nosey MOT tester will spot your modification, and when they do, will search for any unsolved camera fines for your car type/colour, then you're stuffed.

Sorry to put such a dampner on it, but life simply isn't James Bond, more's the pity.... :(

Now, driving a Polish registered old BMW, that's more like it....

Just get it linked up to a scamra detector and you're laughing!

Can't you also get some spray-film that's uber reflective or something?

Just make up some duff plates and speed through them all. Park up and put the real ones back on.

As above by TDK and I also think they'll search for you with extra vigour if your plate is blanked out/reflected by the flash.

Edited by cruiser647
Extra stuff as I took so long!

I really cant imagine the Safety camera partnership passing on info of cars they cannot identify in any way to the police to go looking for, sorry but I just don't believe it would happen.

Assuming there were no distinguishing features to identify the vehicle, I think the only way you'd get caught would be if you happened to be seen by the plod with the plate flipped, or they had a look around the car on a stop check or something.

Unless of course you keep getting caught on cameras in the same area, then they might look out for you, or if you have an unusual car.

Cant see any MOT testers passing the info on to plod either, they'd probably just want to know how it works.

Obviously the main problem would be the lack of automation, as in you'd have to remember to flick a switch while keeping an eye out for plod, in which case you'd probably have seen the camera and slowed down anyway, negating the need to flip the plate in the first place, so conversely if you haven't seen the camera your unlikely to flip the plate and still get fined.

All the other types of plates, e.g camera shy/reflective spray etc, all stand out a mile anyway so your more likely to get pulled.

I reckon the most stealth (as in least likely to be noticed) way of flipping the plate would be via the use of magnets (electromagnets?) concealed within the bodywork of the car, and a metal/magnetic number plate, no external signs even with plate removed.

Rich, you know about magnets, would it be possible through the bodywork of the car?

Obviously this is all theory, I have no intention of making a plate flipper!

Rich, you know about magnets, would it be possible through the bodywork of the car?

Plastic or Aluminium bodywork would be OK, could be tricky with steel though, google 'faradays cage' for one of the reasons. Electromagnets powerful enough would probably interfere with the car's electronics... where am I going with this ? No-one cares.... :grin:

My original train of thought for this was in the case of SPECS rather than Gatso's or Truvelo's. I guess you'd also need to obscure the reg no. on your tax disc too. Clever things these Cash Machines. As for the camera partnership tracking you by your face. A nice cardboard cut out of Alistair Darling giving the bird would soon come into play as you pass the camera's. :grin: With eye holes of course. Wouldn't want to be a danger to anyone :rolleyes:

The YouTube vids look interesting. :)