Audi Configurator, Voice Control

dpm_dpmartin

Hi all,

I was mooching around the Audi UK > Home Configurator tonight - last week I was doing the same but, for some reason, there was no S line option for the A4 model - so I gave up. Anyway, tried again tonight and it was there. I can't stand that Configurator, but hey, at least it's better (slightly) than nothing.

I had a question (or two)... it's about some of the options. The first thing I was wondering about was Voice Control. I wondered if anyone had specified this on a recent A4 they may have bought and how it was in day-to-day usage. If anyone has any first-hand experience of how useful this is - over time I mean - not just trying it in the Audi Centre, how perfect (correct) it is with your accent and whether it's worth £320, I'd be very interested.

The second thing was... if you select telephone preparation low (which is what I believe I had with my old A4 and RNS-E) where you just Bluetooth your phone to the car and it just uses the speakers for the call, i.e. the phone stuff is still done with your phone, not the car... then it said I could not have the front centre armrest. I supposed that's normal - but you do get an armrest, don't you?

The next thing was that I could not find Advanced Key at all. Maybe I missed it.

And, the final thing... I still can't see MMI 3G as an option. I am keeping in touch with my Audi dealer, I wonder when we'll see that on the Configurator.

Getting close now... cheers, DpM

Voice control - I didn't specify it as I didn't think it was worth the extra. You get phone voice control with the Phone Low so that'll do me.

Phone Low - perhaps it won't let you select the armrest as I'm 99% sure it comes as part of Phone Low. Phone Low consists of more that just Bluetooth. You also get a docking cradle which provides power and the external aerial....if you buy the correct adaptor of course.

Advanced key - that's interesting. I'm sure it's gonna be another Configurator error but there's the slimmest chance they've pulled it as I know many are having issues with it.

MMI 3G - depending who you ask it will be introduced "sencond half of the year" or "week 22" which is the last week of May.

The problems with Advanced Key are well documented with A8's (had it since 2003) and Mercs where it has been available for a similar time. I quite like it but wouldn't pay for it (as they say). For eg:

-will let you drive off without the key if you have already started the car and then the key leaves the car (in a coat, briefcase etc). It does warn you but you might not notice it;

-loads of issues if you are travelling two up with both keys - key memory gets confused (important for me for seat settings as the finger print sensor in my A8 is not working properly) - won't lock if one key is in the boot;

-sometimes can't 'find' the key in the car even when its there; and

-sometimes you might forget to lock the car as you don't need to press anything to get in.

• 4 weeks later...

Did Voice Control as a £320 option disappear in the new 2010 model brochure?

I see that the MMI 3G option says it comes with Voice Control.

The phone prep. also comes with Voice Control.

So... there's not too much left you'd want to Voice Control... is that a £320 saving effectively?

Also... not comparing to dedicated Sat. Nav. systems, but isn't the MMI 3G looking like a much more reasonable price, especially when in the 'pack'..? Or am I in my own little world?

Advanced Key option still remains... I was wondering whether that might disappear.

Cheers, DpM

Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine. Not only do you get a better NAV system but you also get a DVD player, a music store and full voice control thrown in.

Since it's the same price as the old one, I can understand why people are pi55ed at paying so much for the '09 solution. If theyd have lowered the price of the old one and then upped it to the current level for 3G it would have made more sense...but of course less cash in their pockets.

I'm not going for advanced key. I've read of the locking/unlocking issues when washing the cars and I also like to know that if my key's in the house that there's no chance of it being open.

I've also read stories of people starting the car whilst the key is on the side, driving off and stopping and then realising they don't have the key. THey then can't drive home or even lock the car :o

I still like the idea of the Advanced Key, and the Start/Stop button, very much. It has also come down significantly in price, it seems, from the £800 I believe it was previously - more in-line with what it was priced at on the A6.

With regards to issues... I am tempted to put them down to, mostly, user error! :-) If it had real faults with the system I wonder if Audi would have it as an option. The two-up-front, both with keys about their person, scenario always interested me though, but I was assured (!?!?) by Audi that that situation is catered for.

The situation where people drive off without their key definitely comes under user error for me.

I'm quite enthused by the MMI 3G features and pricing for the new A4. I'm glad I held out - just hope it's not a beta system with loads of foibles and kinks that need working out, but I am going to show a little faith.

One thing I was wondering... via the AMI, Audi allows you to connect things like iPods and other music players as well as a collecton of USB-powered external disk drives... does anyone know if there is a proprietary connector at the Audi end? I mean... most stuff at the device end are going to be simple small USB connections... is it a big (rectanglular) USB connection at the AMI side, or some weird and wonderful value-add (but it can't be, of course) Audi-specific connector that is really just faking USB, but doesn't look like it?

Agree with regards to the Configurator... it smacks of style over substance and just of a way to get prospective purchasers frustrated enough to make them go into a dealer. This is Audi's front door to new customers... it should (and easily could) be so much better. I'm not especially impressed with a 3D image of a car spinning around and zooming in and out on the dashboard... I'd prefer to know what I can have, how much I have to pay and just what it would look like - high quality static images are good enough for me... a system that is full of errors and a website where a large proportion of the links don't actually go anywhere... er, isn't (good enough for me).

Cheers, DpM

I have voice control in my 335D. I use it now and again, just when I can't be bothered or its to dangerous to fiddle with the I Drive at high speeds. I usually use it for things such as playing a CD and a certain track (saves you having to keep pressing to get to 54 for example, you can just say 'TRACK 12') and it works well in those circumstances. I find the phone function to be pretty annoying though. If you tell it to dial a number 01789 for example it will repeat 01897 when on the move. However, when parked up she gets it. Which kind of defeats the object of it really. Am I glad I have it? Yes. Is it worth £320? No! Hope this helps +++