It's happened!

aj84

Well after admiring the le mans for 3 months or so... it finally happened

Not only a slight curb...a nice 3" scrape against the curb!

Car's going in tomorrow to Audi for a rear cluster condensation check - I'm hoping their alloy guy is down so I can get it refurbed - still, £75 excl. vat was something I didn't need!

:ffs:

I hate that sickening feeling you get when you kerb a wheel!:mad:

Then for the 10 seconds it takes you to go out and check it , you're thinking "please be small, please be small" only to get out and see a massive gouge. Argh!!:ffs:

I now park so far from kerbs I'm sure people walking past the car will joke to each other about getting a taxi to the pavement, but at least they wont be saying "look at his wheels they're f*cked!"

Same here; I'm anal about parking, ensuring that I park parallel and a sensible distance away from to the kerb so to avoid any possible contact of Monza against stone. Do the same when it comes to parking in public places - choose my spot very carefully.

Well it cost me £88 but its being done now as we speak !

I do normally park far away from the curb but that day, it just jinxed me. I even went over a curb (low) where I could not see it at the time (dodgy car park) and was kicking myself as it left a very minute mark on the alloy - something I can remove myself actually.

Annoying this is... the rear cluster condensation it went in for is needing new lamps so that is going to happen either tomorrow or next time I book it in as it needs parts ordered

The lumbar support not working - same as above - they need to replace the motor - I assume this means a new seat as the motor would be inside the backrest no?

AND I need two front tyres - something they quoted £544 for the two fitted - to think the car has barely done 10,000 miles and I bought it with 7mm in March is just...shocking!:ffs:

They are on 3mm at the moment which they say is Audi's minimum requirement so to speak

Glad to hear you guys are the same..

the wife rips the piss and asks if i expect her to walk to the kerb!!.. I'd rather that than scrape the alloy :grin:

Regarding the 3mm depth.. is that for a proportion of the wheel, or for any section as I have wear on the outer edge (common on Q7's) and don't think it'll be too long before i need a new set!

Regarding the 3mm depth.. is that for a proportion of the wheel, or for any section as I have wear on the outer edge (common on Q7's) and don't think it'll be too long before i need a new set!

Think I found the answer :

A minimum of 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference (see illustration below).

Not sure... he just said that 3mm was what they recommended?

I'm going to hold out obviously and go elsewhere.

Had the most awful service from the dealership though - I was warned about them a few times from colleagues at work but I thought, how much could they do in a short while and with such a small issue

Went in for

tyre refurb on one wheel

- ended up fixed but they pointed out 3 very small specs on the other 3 wheels which was not there before! We even walked around the car and saw nothing but stupidly, did not sign anything.

Still, its so small that even if you cleaned it properly, you hardly notice it.

Rear clusters condensation

-took a day to just say they need to be ordered in/replaced. I already stated that before booking in as my previous A6 had the same issue

Lumbar support dead

-fair enough, they diagnosed fault with motor being dead so that was good.

What shocked me is Audi Epsom who are excellent, wash/valet the car regardless of what happens to it

BUT these monkeys just cleaned the ONE wheel they refurbed so I have now got a Black A6 which is fairly dirty and 3 black/grey dirty wheels and one ultra sparkly clean wheel

Also stood around like a monkey for 30mins waiting for the car to be driven back - no real apology, no sense of caring either though the guy next to him was quite friendly (but not my advisor)

As a complete turn-around, phoned up Epsom, spoke to the guy there who has always helped me out in my previous car (bearing in mind that I have never bought a car from them) got me booked in same date, ordered parts in already, and offered a good like for like car (A5, Q7 etc) unlike these monkeys who offered an A3 cab or something along those lines.

Shocking :- )

But the main thing is... I have a non-curbed wheel...albeit a bit clean now :- )

I've been looking into tyre depth law...

the minimum depth is 1.6mm.. saying that most manufacturers will recommend changing at 3.0mm at that is the agreed 'safe' limit. It has been shown in tests that after 3.0mm their performance drops off dramatically.

The law remains at 1.6mm however and having a tyre below that level can result in a £2500 fine and 3 points (that is per tyre by the way!) :eek: