Deep Pile Microfibre Mitt v's Lambswool Mitt

Tarmac_Terrorist

Many do seem to favour lambswool washmitts as opposed to MF type but i'm not convinced. I have traditionally used the white Meguiars deep pile wash mitts for a few years and whilst I do have a lamswool mitt, I always feel that the lambswood mitt it dragging the dirt across the surface where as a microfibre locks the dirt away into the fibres. Maybe it's just my imagination!

I only tend to keep the MF type 3-6 months depending on usage and then relegating to wheel / door shut duties, hence always using a nice deep pile mitt for the bodywork.

I have mainly washed my Golf with a Megs MF mitt and there really is very little in the way of swirling.

What does everyone think?

Hi TT

Im a big user of both type of mitts! Truth be told, i was a late user of the mitt as i just couldent get use them. I still dont "wear" them, i have used things like the lambswool covered sponge know as "the bone" and found that to be quite good.

What i like about the MF mitt is that everyime you use it you can wash it in the machine and know your getting a fresh, clean product everyime. I have felt the nap to be a bit short on the MF ones but all in all, esp. in the winter the MF is a great product.

I wouldent say money was no objective for me with regard detailing but obviously im pretty deep already so i dont worry about spending a few pounds extra for a good lambswool mitt. You know i dont find they hold on to dirt that much, i just put them in the clean water bucket they puff up, a rub on the grit guard and i feel they are fine.

The issue i do have is that if you get tar in them, it matts the wool and then you end up with a swirl creater. The only good wash they get is every other month in the machine but they tend to loose wool and when that happens the back gets exposed. Thats often soft, but its a flat surface that pushes grit, even the smallest amount against the paintwork and marring can occur.

I think you can choose either one have just as many pros can cons. Certantly removing as much built up grime as possible is a good idea before making contact with the car. I know alot of people use an MF mitt for the lower panels and a lambswool for the top half.

Personally i never liked that foam based SHmitt. Once it starts to get cracks in you can trap grit and then as you move it over the cars moldings and curves it can be released and pushed against the surface.

Likewise, unless your car is totally clean i dont like the Zymol sponge. Its soft yes, but that dirt grit coming from seems and gaps in the car can get under the face and marr and swirl.

Its the marring that gets me, its not so much swirls, its the slight dull look that washing induces over time. Thats why i always say, even if working by hand once a year or twice a yr a quality abrasive like ScratchX or SwirlX will remove that marring and bring up more depth and shine.

Plush lambswool is my favorite, but not my only wash tool!

So, in wondering what to purchase next your none the wiser!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff :)

Six of one - half a dozen of the other!

I have the megs lambswool mitt at the moment which from pictures doesn't look quite as good as some of the other ones available.

I still think I may go for another MF one though. I wash them and tumble dry them after each use and they do come up great. The lambswood mitts just 'feel' a bit wrong to me, especially if the car is grubby. Perhaps I should try the idea of two mitts - upper lambswood and lowr parts MF.

Oh I dunno! :roflmao:

...especially if the car is grubby

Surely, you're not referring to your GTI, TT? :grin: I can't believe your car gets grubby! +++

You've got me thinking; I may well try a MF wash mitt as I'm due to place an order this week (wish list is constantly growing and the need is becoming a must!). As long as the material, be it MF or lambs wool, has the ability to hold the dirt and more importantly grit etc deep within it's fibres before the mitt is rinsed, then that's the most important thing I guess.

Edited by JonC

I was concerned to see this thread as I just bought two lamb mitts on Saturday.

My theory was top and bottom. For the cost of £7.99 each plus the fact Halford are doing 3 for 2 on all cleaning products it's not too expensive.....althought a lot more than their 99p sponges ;)

Hi!

The Megs lambs wool was a bit sad as it had the net thing on one side. I never ha dany problems with the mitt itself.

The Mothers one is what i have now, very plush holds loads of suds. Sadly in the UK way over priced.

Halfords one, as long as you have a plush one they seem pretty decent and durable.

My honest conclusion is there are only about 4 different ones out there, all very smiliar! Serious Performance do a good mitt, sometimes on buy 3 for a special price i was happy with my one.

Geoff

I bought 2 from here (from your recommendation in a thread last year, IIRC, Dibbs +++) One of the mitts is softer and more plush than the other. Did you get 2 of the same, or one softer? I never used the "coarser" one. Still have it actually. The softer one gave me 2 months useage before renewing :)