Moving to an Audi S4 (B6)

ChadW

Hi,

Ok notice that I can get a B6 S4 now for about the same price I paid for my TT a couple of years back. Moved offices again recently so mpg on a daily basis is no longer an issue to a point and the tax band is what I am paying now on the TT anyhow. Only prob would be the insurance hike but its only 2 groups above what I pay now.

So the V8 and recaros are calling me big time. Found one in Brum; a 53 reg with about 48k on the clock. What should I be looking for here in relation to say cambelt changes or any wear and tear problems with this engine despite the low miles?

What are servicing costs like for the V8 and did the B6 platform have any quirks like wiper motors failing like on the A3 or dodgy dashpods like on the TT?

Hoping for good feedback as I would love a 344bhp car before any government has its way.

Cheers

Insurance :

My TT (with remap and Milltek tail section) cost £1050 for a 3.5 year old car

My S4 (with remap and full Miltek exhaust) cost £800 for a 0.5 year old car.

i.e. if should go down! +++

Cambelt - it's got a chain instead of a belt. I don't think they need doing for 100,000 miles at least.

Servicing costs : 9 Litres of oil gets expensive so but in and give it to your dealer to use. Apart from that I haven't noticed too much difference.

p.s. You'll average around 18mpg

Great cars but check if the aux radiatiors (two of them) have been replaced (they leak) and if there is a whine on start up from cold - both well documented on rs246.com.

Just remember that they have a very hard ride, only do 250 miles tops on a tank and the power is quite high up the rev range. They are stunning value though and are relatively cheap to run apart from oil as Scotty says and spark plugs every 40k miles. They are relatively light on brakes though - at 60k mine is still on its original rear pads. Oh, and don't overpay - it should be cheap as the B6 books at <£10k in the trade now.

Only other thing you might get lumbered with is excessive oil use. Mine/Pinchers S4 Avant would use a litre every 1,000 miles, which is within tollerance, but quite expensive. Some engines never used a drop, some used a bit and some used a lot... just something to be aware of.

I suspect the cars that got a good thrashing from new never use a drop, to ones run-in "properly" use the oil (comon place in bike engines)

Oh... and Avants are faster than saloons :grin:

Merlot - you must have had a very thirsty S4. On a run i get 300 miles to a tank.

No cambelts to change as its chain driven, although check for high pitched whine on start up when cold - its a sign the cam chain tensioners need replacing. The whine is differnent from the rattle you get on start up - thats the tensioners waiting for the oil to reach them.

Aux rads were a common problem - due to poor design they corrode - check they have been replaced (other wise bill will be around £500)

Insurance wise - was paying £650 with £600 excess with Churchill. Just renewed after having Full Miltek, remap and piper Cross Airfilter - renewal premium came in at £780 with £700 excess - haggeled and got them to come down to £505 (inc Protected NCB, Legal Cover) with $600 excess :)

Oil usage as mentioned can be high - mine never used to hardly use a drop, now uysing about a litre every 5,000 miles.

Also as mentioned Avants are faster :) especially in noggy blue.

If you do get one then deffo get the milltecks fitted if it doesnt already have them

Not forgetting the AMD stage 3 actually has more torque that an RS4. OK it doesn't rev as high hence the BHP figure isn't as high but it means more grunt in normal use +++

p.s. I've seen Sparky post his crazy mileages per tank before. I only ever got 310miles out of a tank and that was with the cruise set to 80-85 from home to Luxembourg.

I think he should be banned from owning as S4 coz he's not treating it right! :grin:;)

Superb! Thanks guys for the pointers.

Not fussed about oil use at the end of the day and intresting to hear about the insurance perhaps coming down too.

Not too many 'issues' compared to say my TT either it appears.

Was going to ask how does the engine cope with remaps and now have a good idea too, if indeed it can compete with and beat an RS4. Nice one.

Thanks

@Biscuits - yes i did get them fitted thanks - although put them a bit to close to the window, so there a bit ackward to pull up and slid back into place, but still work very well, its not to much of an issue, may just buy some new top of door inserts and refit them.

@Scotty - agred, on a run (down to cornwall etc) i would get 300 - 310 out of a tank - normal every day usage its 16-18mpg. having the AMD stage 3 should in theory increase the MPG a bit, but that is negated as i tend to drive it faster now with all that sound and torque :)

Before having the AMD stage 3 done i test drove two RS4's, neither felt noticabbly quciker than my standard S4, after the AMD stage 3 there is a huge difference - my feeling is that my S4 with AMD stage 3 is quicker than RS4 - although it could just be the surge you get when all the torques kick in makes it feel faster (like turbo vs NA)

Remapping the S4 doesnt put any extra strain on the engine, remap only gives abount 20hp gain, to get the best you really need to go remap plus full mileck - total gain HP around 40-45 with a bucket load of torque.

test drove two RS4's, neither felt noticabbly quciker than my standard S4, after the AMD stage 3 there is a huge difference - my feeling is that my S4 with AMD stage 3 is quicker than RS4

That's why when people said about swapping mine for an RS4 I wasn't keen. I'd have to throw a wodge of cash at it and not get anything much different.

p.s. I hope you have the RS4 ARB. It makes a decent tweak +++

nope i dont have the RS4 ARB.

been thinking about that plus new brakes, any suggestions on where to get the ARB from ?

As i just bought the wife a Focus ST im hoping she wont moan at me for spending to much money on the S4 - it going to Nathan next week for full detail :)

Get it from a dealer ...nope - actually get it from NelsonR32 +++

You'll need the rubbers etc also.

Then take it to your local exhaust place to fit it - around £30.

Make sure all wheels are supported i.e. the car's weights on them. You only need a pit or a drive on ramp to get under the car. If they use the supports and leave the wheels hanging the rubbers can get twisted up.