Good used car to buy for 10k

Rob4001

Rob - you need to tell us a bit more mate, how many miles do you do, are you bothered about fuel consumption, insurance, reliability, do you prefer comfort over speed, etc etc...

Anyhoo, £10k gets you a pretty decent car, whatever your preference ! Some of my £10k suggestions :

Golf Gti mk5 (modern, pretty quick, cheapish to run) :

volkswagen_golf_gti_mk5_front.jpg

Honda S2000 (£10k gets you a GT model with hardtop, bonkers engine, reliable and a bit different) :

29_12_3---Honda-S2000_web.jpg

BMW M5 E39 (V8 400 bhp, and more practical than you'd first think)

Message340797.jpg

Porsche 911, (old school cool that's still quicker than all the above and won't depreciate)

12198.jpg

Maserati (see why I mentioned reliability and running costs, although I'd love one myself)

1081713733_maserati_coupe_cambiocorsa.jpg

The world is your Oyster.... :)

Edited by theduisbergkid

Golf Gti mk5 (modern, pretty quick, cheapish to run)

I think TDK typed a typo. That should read fecking quick :grin:

BMW M5 E39 (V8 400 bhp, and more practical than you'd first think)

Awesome car, would love one myself, but jeez the running costs ouch! +++

In a similar predicament a few months ago.

Ended up with a 55 plate 330i leather, sports seats and 27k on clock for 12 k,

but there are a few around for 10k with 50-60 on the clock. Same price as a 320d, but lots more car.

A4 cabrio, 325i, merc c class, s2000, z4, x type were on my shortlist. Sometimes its a matter of grabbing the best deal available. New shape 3 series are the best bang for buck and the 330i is usually same price as 325 and even a 320i. not a huge diff on insurance either. prices have gone up on second hands in last few months, you may wish to wait a couple of months.

good luck , tell us what you decide ;)

Ended up with a 55 plate 330i leather, sports seats and 27k on clock for 12 k, but there are a few around for 10k with 50-60 on the clock

Now, that's a lot of car for the money and would be a great purchase with full history +++

Rob - you need to tell us a bit more mate, how many miles do you do, are you bothered about fuel consumption, insurance, reliability, do you prefer comfort over speed, etc etc...

/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions I was looking at golf gti but R32 & BMW M3 but might be a little too expensive to buy and run.

Something reliable and particle I don't have family so don't need a great big saloon I would use it a lot for work not just pottering about. Thanks for suggestions so far.

Edited by Rob4001

Anyhoo, £10k gets you a pretty decent car, whatever your preference ! Some of my £10k suggestions :

Maserati (see why I mentioned reliability and running costs, although I'd love one myself)

1081713733_maserati_coupe_cambiocorsa.jpg

The world is your Oyster.... :)

Are you trying to put the poor fella in the poor house? :)

Times are 'ard enough as it is, without trying to fund the maintenance on one of those - What do they reckon, anything up to £5k pa, plus (probably) another £5k as a fighting fund?

Like most, I would probably say BM 3/5 or a Golf. I might also suggest a Focus ST as within budget but I know that will be pooh-poohed by most in these parts - wrong badge, y'see (although I'd say that as long as you can afford the fuel it is an alternative - based on 40k+ miles of experience). You could also go for an Imprezza and would score something pretty recent for your money.

The only other possibility might be to get a weekend car and a snotter (relatively speaking) and then you can pick & choose according to the weather/roads/way your plums are hanging etc - it's certainly something I'd consider if I had a garage available for the weekender.+++

was looking at golf gti but R32 & BMW M3 but might be a little too expensive to buy and run

I'm sure you'll find some earlier models for your budget. Fast, practicle, reliable, well built, iconic, very tunable, very stylish.... Biased? Me? What made you say that? :P:grin:

I think TDK typed a typo. That should read fecking quick

Nope, it's slower than all the others I've suggested Jon. :coffee:;)

Rob - If you fancy an M3 but not the bills, I can recommend a BMW 330ci sport, lots around for £10k (and less). This one below is almost identical to mine...

bmw330ci.jpg

It has 231 bhp as standard, I get 30mpg easy, my insurance is c.£250 FC, 0-60 in 6.5ish from a lovely sounding straight 6, RWD and fairly well specced. Get one with FSH and you can't go wrong, my last car had more or less the same engine and did 170k. ;)

Am I the only person on TSN who finds the MK5 Gti a teensy bit dull ?

Edited by theduisbergkid
typo!

Nope, it's slower than all the others I've suggested Jon. :coffee:;)

I'm only messing :grin: It's not as fast as a M5, 911 or Maserati! :eek:

Standard GTI is hardly slow, but remaped etc, oh boy it becomes awesome value bang for buck!

All good choices there Maxyboy, but this one....

You mean the original original ? Surely an investment, and cheap to run too ? :)

Yes i mean the original. I would probably have one by now but the one i like is in Devon. I'd be quicker buying it from the moon.:rolleyes: