Child seats: top tether?

Sponge

I'm looking into car seats again, for sprog #2. I've come across a likely candidate, but it appears to utilise a top tether strap, as well as isofix. I have no experience of using the former. I cannot find a car fitment guide from the manufacturer of the child seat, so wondered if anyone here knew if such seats are compatible with my car?

Edited by Sponge

I've checked the car and there are no anchor points. I've checked the manual and it doesn't mention them either.

I've called the distributor of the Jane Exo and they have confirmed the seat can only be used in isofix mode with the use of the top tether.

Really annoyed. I wanted this seat, but I want isofix :(

Our Recaro Young 'whateveritis' is isofix and didn't come with a top tether although the Accord has the point for one behind the headrest. I called and asked about it and was then told that the top tether (nice alliteration :)) wasn't needed. :confused:

I had a chat with a nice bloke from a shop that has the Jane Exo in stock. He made some phone calls and has told me pretty much the same thing. The tether, some seats have a leg instead, helps prevent the whole seat from rotating forward in an impact. It protects the child and also the isofix mounts. Some cars have seats where these measures are required more than others, he mentioned BMWs. Britax recommend the use of an extra pad, under the seat, in similar cases.

He added that I could use the seat secured via the seatbelts, but also have it secured by the isofix mounts (without tether). Using the two together would cause no problems.

Fortunately, he has one in stock. So we're going to visit him and try it out.

We bought the Jane Exo.

The owner of the shop was very knowledgeable, with certificates/qualifications all over the wall. He fitted the seat for us. It's attached via the isofix brackets and also the seatbelt. No problems.

My little one really likes facing forward and appears to like his new seat very much.

I hope I never have to test the pneumatic, G-reducing system.