Installed a Carbonio CAI...

JonC

...this morning. Didn't take long at all. The fiddliest bit was fixing it to the intake mouth. The Carbonio is larger than the OEM (and free-flowing in comparison) so it's quite fiddly, but on the whole an easy mod to install. The car definately sounds throatier (especially as I'm running a nion-res MIlltek); not sure if there's much difference on power (although 8-10bhp and similar torque are quoted), but it does seem to rev that bit longer. I guess it's the placebo effect (is that the right word?), but the car does seem like it breathing better, but perhaps that's because I know that's what the design of the intake is meant to do. I decided to keep the BMC filter than I have been previously running - the one supplied with the Carbonio looks like it wouldn't perform anywhere near the level the BMC would. Not sure if there is any benefit of an ITG filter like I had planned, over the BMC. Now, what's next....:grin:

Yes, it's difficult to appreciate if there's much difference when changing to the Carbonio. Some people report big changes and others none.

Only slightly more sound for me (not quite enough) and no extra power, just freer flowing (I hope!). Cool eye-candy though.

+++

....Big Brake Kit? Quaife? Coilovers? Have you got aftermarket Anti-Roll Bars?

A big brake kit for me is unjustified. A LSD is an expensive mod that I would very much like. I'd happily budget for that if the R20T doesn't come to fruition :grin: Coilovers, I'm very tempted by the KW V1's or possibly V2's, but have given serious thought to ARB's first to see what the difference is in the drive before investing in KW's. Regarding ARB's, what size do I go for and what's the reasoning behind the size choice? +++

^^^^

The most economical mod of those mentioned is the ARB's - They alter the drive in that they keep the ride flatter in corners and reduce nose dive under braking. I've got Eibach but H&R also have a very good reputation. I'd stay away from Autotech - I know someone who has had 2 sets fail within only months and all Autotech say is that they know of no other cases!

But if you are thinking seriously about a R20T, then why spend any more on modding.

But if you are thinking seriously about a R20T, then why spend any more on modding.

Well, firstly, I have been well and truly bitten by the modding bug and am addicted to it :grin: Secondly, if the R20 does arrive, it will be (according to VW UK) early 2010 at the earliest, which is another pleasurable year of GTI ownership, so I may as well enjoy my car until then. That's why I am limiting any mods I am doing at present to small and cost effective ones. More extensive mods I have planned have been put on the back burner until such time as the R20's fate is known. ARB's would be a reasonably cost effective mod for the time being, improving the car's handling. I'd get a lot of enjoyment from V1's and/or ARB's in the next 12 months, so believe it wouldn't be a waste of money, but I'll see how the mood takes me +++

Well, firstly, I have been well and truly bitten by the modding bug and am addicted to it :grin:

....I've no idea what that's like!

People say that it's always best to wait a year after a new model is released so that any problems get sorted and the build revised. So that translates to 2011 for the R20T.

You better be very careful of "but I'll see how the mood takes me"!!

YouKnowYouWantTo.jpg

People say that it's always best to wait a year after a new model is released so that any problems get sorted and the build revised. So that translates to 2011 for the R20T

That's a very good point +++ and it gives me a complete excuse to mod my car further! Full turbo-back, uprated fuel pump and stage 2 software are top of the list in that case! :grin:

always best to wait a year after a new model is released so that any problems get sorted

Away with the fairies on that old myth RR +++

In all honesty, the engine will be proven (S3 / Cupra etc) and the chassis is developed and tested on other VAG cars.

With a totally new design and new everything it might be prudent not to be at the front of the queue, but no a VAG car.

There is also a lot of pleasure to be had getting a very early car. I had one of the 1st 10 R32 in to the UK back in December 02 and it was great fun being a member of a very select club for the 1st 6 months by which time the R32 production was finally arriving.

No road test, no demo's, I just knew I wanted the car and placed a deposit when the VW dealers didn't know the car existed back in May 02.

I didn't regret it and the only issue (and common to 3000 other R32's) was the remap to stop the hesitancy issues +++

Probably posting this in completely wrong place but need help! What is exactly is a clutch box and why doesn't my warranty cover that but every other bit to do with the clutch? Are VW LUPO's known to have a problem in this area?:confused:

^^^^

I see your point, Chri5, but don't entirely agree. Whereas engine and chassis will doubtless be Germanically well proven, there are invariably other features which get revised. Multifunction steering wheel, steering rack, are just two that immediately come to mind on the Mk5 GTI. Who can say that the R20T won't be the very first of the VAG cars to debut a particular feature.

Your right, there maybe new features and sometimes these may have issues.

Take the early TT (pre spoiler on the rear), who would have been happy in a car that fell off the road beyond 80mph on a windy day :eek:

But, it's all down to risk v confidence + (a bit) of ego.

Having owned a very early new R32 and having done the same with some innovative (later to become classic) bikes there is a very pleasant 'buzz' to owning something that is the 1st on the street.

Hence (I'd say) why order books for early fresh model cars with any desirability tend to be busy. Take the Mk6 GTi, I bet there's several 1000 orders in already, and even the R20T will have deposit hungry drivers holding notes of interest at the dealers.

I do see you point, but for desirable cars people will pre order long before a test drive is available. They work on the fairly good theory that modern QC, and the repute of the manufacture will iron out 99.9765% of the problems at R&D level 1st.

+++