classic mini

330dcoupe

evening chaps,

I've been thinking about 'investing' some money in a classic mini - but haven't got a clue as to which one would be best to buy. Austin, cooper ect ect. I've seen a few going on fleebay for around the £800 mark - Obviously, for that price, they would need a bit of restoring - which I'm up for. So if anyone has bought one for that exact reason, or just for fun - some info would be just dandy :D

Cheers!

Dont know alot about minis really but I'd imagine there will always be a bigger market for genuine Cooper models, and proper shape ones rather than those ones with the more square front.

Probably not a bad investment really, there will always be a big following for Minis.

Erm, big big topic this but as a rough start, don't buy an injection, do lots of checks for anything that claims original and for £800 your not gonna make a massive amount of money, but if used you've got a lot of fun on your hands.

I've got an ex hillclimb mini for sale if you want, road legal and with some fun/easy bits :)

I can also point you in the direction of some great online resources/forums to if you'd like. +++

Mulky is definitely a Mini Master. +++

It really depends what you're after and what your total budget is.

If you want a real restoration project, then spending a small amount on an old shed, then investing time, skill and alot more money in the restore makes sense.

If you want something in decent nick that you want to keep, and want to keep in good condition (and perhaps if you're new to the classic/restoration mallarky), then you might be better spending more money on something like a final edition Cooper from around 1999/2000.

I prefer the older cars myself. I've still theoretically got a 1960 Mk I stored away, but it's been mid-restoration for about five years now, so the chances of it ever seeing the light of day again are steadily reducing.

Whichever model you go for, it'll be a hoot to drive. Original Coopers are hugely expensive, but you can upgrade a car to similar spec for a lot less money. There are plenty of 1275 A+ lumps out there that you can drop into a car with a smaller engine, and a Stage 2/3 head and better exhaust will make 75+ bhp on a carb engine, with a lovely sound. 75bhp may not sound like much, but on a car that only weighs half a tonne...

I prefer the older cars myself. I've still theoretically got a 1960 Mk I stored away, but it's been mid-restoration for about five years now, so the chances of it ever seeing the light of day again are steadily reducing.

Whichever model you go for, it'll be a hoot to drive. Original Coopers are hugely expensive, but you can upgrade a car to similar spec for a lot less money. There are plenty of 1275 A+ lumps out there that you can drop into a car with a smaller engine, and a Stage 2/3 head and better exhaust will make 75+ bhp on a carb engine, with a lovely sound. 75bhp may not sound like much, but on a car that only weighs half a tonne...

Hi guys, apologies for the late late reply. Thanks for all of the info so far. I'm posting from my iPod touch, whilst on the toilet- soon as I get a chance, I'll post a few links up of what I'm roughly looking for. Saying all this, this might be in vein. The wife wants a new house now! In a bit.