3yr old RS4 - Common pitfalls ?

niikme

Hi guys, been a long time since I sold the R32 for a 330 and haven't ventured into the tyresmoke forums much since :(

The 330 is going back August, (yay!) and I spent some time looking at the new M3 as replacement. However......... I test drove an RS4 some months back and fell in love with its awesome power and sublime sub 40mph comfort. The seal in the deal is the Mrs is up the duff with our first so I really need 4 doors for the daily ease and don't think the M3 saloon looks quite right!

So I will be spending 30kish on a 2nd RS4 but have noticed at this price I am looking at 2006 models fast coming out of their warranty period which makes me a little nervous!

Am I right to be nervous?

Were there common parts replaced under warranty that I should check for?

I noticed a thread a long time back (on RS246 I think) which mentioned dirty airboxes (I think) causing performance issues due to build up of carbon.

And do I need to be checking oil levels every weekend on this beast (I cant be arsed to do this) , Im a weekend polisher but an amateur around the engine!

Was isofix on the rear seats standard?

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance and I realise I could go searching back through threads for this stuff but thats a)boring and b) I havent the time!!

For what its worth I need to cover about 15k miles per annum due to work... and bluetooth is a must. I know this can be retrofitted at Fontain I think and I will absolutely not have one of those parrots fussying up my dash lol.

Cheers!

Personally I would only buy an RS4 from a dealer which then I presume would come with a full years warranty. Yup DRC can be an issue (2 shocks and valve on mine replaced in 2 sep incidents) Costs wise see if you can find one that has the pads and disks either replaced or are in good condition or you are up for £800 costs for them, same goes for tyres (£800 plus) DRC should be covered for 5 years but insist on history from the dealer as it does not get put into the log book!!

Apart from that all is fine IMHO and just go for a colour and option list that is easy to pass on. Non original RS4 steering wheel is a common no no on resale (multi function wheel is on a few models - mostly by mistake)

Good luck - cracking car.

Was isofix on the rear seats standard?

IIRC you could only get isofix with the Recaros and not with the buckets.

I've had my RS4 since July 2006, just had it's 2nd service and still going like a dream. Not had the DRC problems that many get.

If you're in the deep South I know someone who can sort you out with retrofitting the OE bluetooth - without the MFSW (a no-no on an RS4) you'll need the RNS-E sat nav to control the phone.

Ok thanks chaps. I did see another similar thread after I started mine but too late im committed now!

Just so I have it straight - the DRC is the ride comfort system that feeds the shocks with more/less fluid as per the setting you chose? Another thing to go wrong I guess!

I think I am favouring spending a bit more for an audi approved car anyway since I will most likely purchase on a lease and it will only be a few extra pounds per month.

I actually prefer the non buckets so that could solve the isofix need in one. Were the buckets an option or were the recaros the option? I've noticed most cars have the buckets. Ive noticed the common problem with the buckets is the side bolsters taking a hammering.

What about the oil... does it drink the stuff?

Ok thanks chaps. I did see another similar thread after I started mine but too late im committed now!

Just so I have it straight - the DRC is the ride comfort system that feeds the shocks with more/less fluid as per the setting you chose? Another thing to go wrong I guess!

I think I am favouring spending a bit more for an audi approved car anyway since I will most likely purchase on a lease and it will only be a few extra pounds per month.

I actually prefer the non buckets so that could solve the isofix need in one. Were the buckets an option or were the recaros the option? I've noticed most cars have the buckets. Ive noticed the common problem with the buckets is the side bolsters taking a hammering.

What about the oil... does it drink the stuff?

Yup on DRC - don't let this put you off though as most are fine and Audi have new parts now which is supposed to stop this in future!!

Sports bucket seats were standard - Recaros non cost option.

Depends on how large / heavy you are, mine are fine (slim 12st)

Oil seems to vary but say 1ltr per 1000 miles would be the max.

Most RS4s have the RNS-E sat nav - and you can operate the Bluetooth kit from that without needing the MFSW or a cradle.

The "proper" RS4 wheel is exclusive to the RS4, but the MFSW is the same as available on all other A4 based cars.

Result? - you don't need the MFSW at all, and the RS4 wheel adds to the special feel of an RS4 - so most buyers look first for an RS4 with the "proper" wheel and if they have to take one with the MFSW will expect to pay less.

Some people buy an RS4 with a "normal" MFSW (if all the rest of the spec matches what they want) and have it swapped to get the "special"-ness back - costs them more but they get the spec they want.