Opinions Please - Is This Rust?

stooH

I noticed about a week ago a small patch just above the drivers door that had bobbled up slightly with a small hole in the middle of it, it's quite small about 5mm across but am concerned that it's rust. :(

This is the first chance i've had to take a picture of it and have it going in for a service tomorrow so thought i'd mention it then (apologies that it's a bit big would of made it smaller but wanted to keep it in perpective)

So if it is rust is there any comeback to VW about it? The cars 27 months old so still in warranty and I thought that all the bodywork is galvanised and covered for a long period of time. Not sure what exceptions there are to this.

Any help and advice appreciated. +++

attachment.php?attachmentid=35936&stc=1&d=1239212117

post-16271-137914431076_thumb.jpg

Looks like rust to me. Have a good look around and see if there are any others. I think VW's rust policy is on stuff that starts from underneath, they may argue that its a stone chip that has rusted, in any case it's not right.

Your right...the warrentee covers rust that originates from reverse side of the panel...ie..spreads from the inside--> to outer surface....looks like a stone chip to me.....but the only way to tell would be for it to be inspected properly.

Only noticed it last week hence why it's still so small, any smaller and you'd never see the thing on my screen it's about 5 times the size it is in reality... +++ I especially cleaned the paintwork just for you Jon before i took that picture ;)

Unfortunately it's the frame above the door so that respray would be the whole roof and anything else attached :( any other ways of dealing with it?

I thought that if the metal was galvanised and primed properly this shouldn't happen?

I especially cleaned the paintwork just for you Jon before i took that picture ;)

:grin:+++

You're right, it should be fine, but it seems that it's been a nasty stone chip that you've missed that has been subjected to water ingress over the course of a few weeks/months which has blistered the paint. Galvanised, primed and paint aside, water can be hugely damaging under the paint layer.

I dropped the car off this morning and the warranty guy came out and had a look at the paint work and said he thought it that it was a warranty job as it looked like it had come through from below, the tiny hole in it being a puncture as something had hit the already bubbled paint work. He reckons it might of been there since manufacture.

Unfortunately the place doing the service don't have a VW approved body shop so now I have to take it to another place and run the gauntlet of them deciding whether they think it's a warrantee job or not. Fingers crossed.

The rust on mine is right on above the drivers door not forward facing. I haven't noticed any other chips in similar areas, they're all on the front bumper and bonnet. Funnily enough depite the hundreds there none of those have rusted...