18'' to big for '02 Golf ?

jonnymtl

Hey, New to the site hoping to get some input.

Have a great deal on 18'' Enkei Rims but am worried that 18'' will be too big seeing as its a daily driver and not looking to replace tires weekly. Has anyone went from 17'' to 18'' ? I currently don't have mags on the car and not looking to have a nice whip that can't be driven considering Quebec roads aren't perfect. But I'm paying 400$CAN for Mags with tires from a good firend of mine. Are there other fittings or adjustments ( shocks, spacers, etc) that are needed for this size fit?

I'm also looking to change the CPU Chip for small gain. 25-40Hp. I found some cheap chips on eBay but don't trust them, they don't look like what I'm used to seeing. Is there a preffered company I should go with or other information I should know before doing this? I have a 2.0L Gl Golf '02.

Thanks in advance!

18's really suit the Golf. Tyre wear is no different to any other tyre, IMO. Where are you based? Trusted tuners such as Revo and APS offer superb bhp/torque gains for the GTI - they may well offer a remap for the 2.0 NA engine. Bluefin are another tuner which offers decent power returns - data download is done slightly differently to the likes of the big 2 tuners as mentioned previously, but still worth considering. Again, you may want to check to see if they cater for the NA 2.0 engine. HTH +++ Regarding the 18's again. just do it :grin:

Welcome to Tyresmoke jonnymtl +++

As above, 18" wheels are stock on the Mk4 R32, so you'll be fine on any other Mk4. Make sure you get the right offset to avoid them catching on the inner arches.

Don't buy chips off of eBay - complete waste of space and what happens when your car goes wrong?

TBH, you're not going to get any decent gains out of a naturally aspirated 2 litre engine, so I'd save your money.

Best of luck!

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks! was told not to by two mechanics, so bought regular 195/65- R15 for cheap now trying to sell them and restock the mags! though I only had 35mm clearence as well although now know its 40, oh well! needed to know how to mesure offset but now the same mechanic says he'll do it for me!! a little late! lol thanks again