Mk6 GTI - Review....

RedRobin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A month or so back vw had a stock of mk5 GTIs. I have been waiting (but now it looks unlikley they prob just sent them to a closed auction :sad) to see if they do/did the same as they did with the R32 and knock ~30% off to clear the stock. As i would have one like a shot.

Edited by Snoopy

Whilst looking in the local Lamborghini dealer's window this morning (furniture centre right opposite was where we were heading sadly), I popped next door to VW to take a look at the MKVI GTI. They had a white one there and in 3dr guise which I'm not really a fan of. I was surprised to see that the side sills don't feature at all which made it look very unfinished.

Saw a black VW Bora with two red stripes on the grill coming towards me this morning with its headlights on, it was only when it got within 30 feet or so that I realised I'd made a mistake and it was in fact a MkVI GTI... and I thought it was my hearing that was fecking bad :roflmao:

Why would anyone buy a diesel to throw round a track? I assume it was some connection to VW themselves?

Well tuned diesels whoop the ass off tuned petrols, because they've got so much more torque +++

You'll find a lot of cars at the Ring are people just cruising round, but a GTD would be a decent toy to do it in - the Mk6 GTI only has 207 torques. Mk6 GTD has 258 torques.

You probably hate to admit it, but yes, the GTD is a GTI with (shock horror :eek: ) a diesel engine... :P

Well tuned diesels whoop the ass off tuned petrols, because they've got so much more torque +++

You'll find a lot of cars at the Ring are people just cruising round, but a GTD would be a decent toy to do it in - the Mk6 GTI only has 207 torques. Mk6 GTD has 258 torques.

You probably hate to admit it, but yes, the GTD is a GTI with (shock horror :eek: ) a diesel engine... :P

....Le Mans winners?

However, my Revo2 plotted 338 ft lb @ 3k revs recently on Maha rollers - I have no complaints!

Yep, the Mk6 GTD looks like a GTI with grey instead of red stripes :(. Pic this weekend in Germany : -

GTD.jpg

What the hell is that white thing on the right of that pic slammed to the floor with what looks like 48" rims on it :eek:

....I averted my eyes and walked off in the opposite direction! I hate those bagged things - Just not my scene - Cars are for driving. It certainly wasn't one of these : -

Porsche.jpg

Nice review RedRobin, must at agree with most, the looks are abit of a let down but this obviously leaves room for improvement. :grin:

Also just because something is good people dont always buy it, its down to individuals and like RedRobin said, where they are coming from.

Would I buy one.... errrrrrr nope :rolleyes: Volkswagen, as much as I hate it, did the right thing dropping the V6 engine, its not really eco-friendly. Its helping firm up the .:R32 prices very well too which is good for the future of the cult car. Its not a problem for me as im not going to sell mine and ive got a second eco-car for daily use :grin:

For people new to the GTi the MK6 is available and a very sorted car..... Volkswagen will sell shed loads.... GTi`s usually always sell well..... thats why its on its 6th generation......

The forthcoming Golf R20 and Audi RS3 will be great cars with a wealth of performance/technology and hopefully putting the VAG group back on top of the hot-hatch ladder.... currently the Ford Focus RS leads eventhough its not my cup of tea.

So whats the real word mpg of the new GTi? 20-30mpg or more?

Riz +++

ion

I realise about the torques etc. Just the soundtrack and lack of rev range for that personal satisfaction.

I hate to agree with Mook, but i'm going to.

There are some very good diesels out there, and you can have a lot of fun, it's just different to having fun in a petrol, and like the main man says, you have to use a different driving style.

I took my remapped Mondeo ST TDCi around Donnington and the Nurburgring, at the ring it wasn't that great to be fair, very good on the uphill sections due to the torque, but overall a disappointment.

At Donnington however it was a different story, the car really suited that track and was damn good fun, more fun infact on that track, than some of the petrol engined cars I've taken round there.

I also own a SEAT Arosa 1.4TDi :rolleyes: its fun too...... and in the past have owned a Astra CDTi tuned to 200bhp..... oooompf the torque was amazing. My cousin who owns a SLK55 AMG has on numerous occasions told me of horror stories of tuned diesel cars beating him on the streets... Skoda VRS`s etc..... in gear ooompf is good on diesels....

I still prefer the soundtrack of the .:R32 though... its pure class.

The most fun I`ve had in a car has to be my old John Cooper Works S.... that was properly fun..... 90bhp..... doing 110+ was pretty scary though.

Riz +++

Edited by Riz