A4 Cab - Which model

I have a 55 plate A4 2.0 TDi S-Line and am considering changing for a Cabriolet.

Similar age, however newer shape grill etc and am torn between the Petrol 1.8T, 2.0T and Diesel 2.0 TDi.

I want the s-line again as I prefer leather seats.

Cost seems to be approx £16-£18K for a 06 model with approx 40K miles.

I like my TDi at present but may be different with roof off etc.

I also have Auto box. Seem to few and far between on the Cabriolet.

Any opinions appreciated.

:roflmao:+++

Welcome to TSN - sounds like we got a QS on board......

Do you do a lot of miles? My last cab was a tdi and its fine in the cabrio with regards to noise, etc not really any different to the tin top.

From terms of enjoyment, well I drive a few and see how you like the engine, the 2.0T is a nice engine, but if you have done a lot of miles with the oil burner the petrol might feel a bit lacking in torque.

While you are looking then i'd look for one with symphony as it makes a nav upgrade easier if you ever want it and one without phone prep on the dash as I think it really ruins the dash in the cabrio. If the car has a multi function steering wheel retro fit of phoen prep shouldnt be too hard.

Unfortunately I am a QS, please dont hold against me!!

I only do 10k a year. But hate filling up and get 45 mpg in mine at present.

My S-Line has sat nav, and would def buy one from Ebay and update, as agree dash is a bit dull. I have Bluetooth phone through the SAT Nav also, so would like to get this again added if this is possible.

Not the easiest sat nav and phone to use however but dont like tom tom type ones as being cabriolet would attract thieves stealing a portable one.

Yes a Quantity Surveyor for my sins.

I only do 10K a year, and if buying new would not justify getting diesel.

The 1.8T is cheaper and has more availability on autotrader.

The 2.0T is more expensive, pretty close to 2.0 TDi, hence why buying TDi may be viable.

Not sure about depreciation as A4 Cab seems to be ending.

Any thoughts on where to source one. Autotrader is my obvious choice.

Would def upgrade to SAT NAv as have at moment on my A4 with phone Bluetooth. However not many Cabs have SAT Nav, so would source on Ebay.

I've had a 2.0T Cab a couple of times while mines been in for a service and it didn't feel lacking at all even coming from a 3.2 (apart from the noise). That engine seems to really suit the laid back style of the cab really well with plenty of low down torque.

For resale must haves on Cabs are.... rear parking sensors (seriously dont buy one without) leather, heated front seats, BOSE and if you can find one, the RNS-E Nav (rare on the 2.0T). All these will make usage a pleasure and resale much easier. The bluetooth is also a godsend if you can find one with it fitted. I wouldn't buy another Audi without after havinmg this one.

Only my opinion but seriously, dont get a diesel cab at least not the 2.0tdi. The 3.0tdi is superb but the 2.0T petrol would be my choice. Notice you want an auto, all the first batch of 2.0T's were Multitronic and the manuals weren't released until 6 months later so you should have quite a good choice.

My wife has a 2.0T which i tend to steal when the weather is nice.

its a great car, and if I drive it carefully, I can see 40mpg on a day with little or no traffic on the M4.

however, it torque steers like a monster. 5k plus revs in second and you do have to work to keep the wheel straight.

might just be ours i guess.....

Acoustic roof is well worth it if you've found one. Mine has it and to be honest you'd be pushed to know its an open top with the roof up. Noise levels i.e. sitting next to a juggernaut on the motorway are only marginally noisier than in a normal saloon. Its pretty impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am very pleased with my 55 S4 Cab, but if you hate filling up, not for you ! 25mpg on long runs but a Teenager in traffic. Traffic lights drive it to drink.

Anyone know about tyres ? I want to know if any tyres give sharper handling than Conti Sport Contact( Z18 235/40)

• 1 month later...

I have been on the lookout for some time for a Cab A4, and found that the 2.0T petrol seems to command a much higher premiun than diesel.

Seems a little bizarre given I assume the higher premiun new, but I suppose the petrol is a lot rarer.

Is the diesel that bad?

I have the 2,oTdi S-line auto saloon and love the ride, but everyone tells me the cab diesel is a no go!

Yet so many about!

Start your car, go and stand outside, now think, could you stand that clattering sitting in a cab with the roof down while cruising through town on a nice day... your call at the end of the day. If you get on with the engine (you must do as you've got one already) only you can tell if you'll be OK.