GTR - first service, 6 months, 5k miles

bazza_g

The Gearbox/clutches calibration normally done at the 1200 mile optimisation and then annually was also done for good measure

Hi Bazza,

Could you detect any difference in the gearbox/clutches. Mine is coming up to optimisation and is bl**dy difficult to reverse slowly up hill out of garage.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worth every penny though right ;)

:grin: amen my brother, amen - in all those miles it has never once failed to put a smile on my face when pressing the starter button, no matter what else is going on or how stressy work is, a lump of metal on 4 wheels can completely change/lift my mood.

...I'd go so far as to say that its actually good for my health +++

:grin: tyres done this morning so now she's wearing a set of non-runflat P Zeros, a bit of a step into the unknown as I don't know any other GTR's that have ditched runflats, though it seems a popular choice in the USA. Personally I did it because I needed tyres and Bridgestone were quoting 4-6 weeks for delivery! Initial feedback is they are more compliant, as expected and the comfort button now actually means that!

The 12k/12 month service and optimisation was carried out brilliantly by Litchfields for under £300 as opposed to the £570 the Nissan dealership quoted lol! I've also gone for some more heavy duty oil than the Mobil 'water' that Nissan use to help with cold starts and emissions testing...

Managed to leave the £15k MOV-IT ceramic brake set on the shelf! There was a GTR waiting for the owner to collect that had the brakes and a further £25k of carbon bits!!!

Edited by bazza_g

I guess even that is insignificant in the big scheme of things. I always peruse the Aston M section of P Heads in the classics section for the 90s Vantage and frequently see over six figure sums having been spent on upgrades and maintenance. Hardly a good advert for ownership I always think. At least I did until I won on Friday. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think those servicing costs sound perfectly acceptable for what is an out and out performance car in a ultra high state of tune.

The Evo 400 has 6k intervals and eats clutches for breakfast with long term running costs easily on par with those given by Bazza on the GTR, and yet it is much more of a capable car (the GTR).

I don't think it can be compared to an M3 because it is in a different league and I think it'd be unlikely that a potential buyer would be considering both (if they were I would say they didn't really know what sort of car they wanted).

If you then look at what appear to be very favourable residuals on the GTR it makes it a very attractive buy if that is your cup of tea. It isn't a car for me, but I can see why it is a massively attractive purchase and I can't help but think they are a very wise buy for those to whom they appeal.

Thing is, if you're spending that kind of money then you're ready for that type of maintenance cost anyway. Few people go into these things blindfolded and for what the car gives you back, as Woppum said, it is probably worth every penny.

I think those servicing costs sound perfectly acceptable for what is an out and out performance car in a ultra high state of tune.

The Evo 400 has 6k intervals and eats clutches for breakfast with long term running costs easily on par with those given by Bazza on the GTR, and yet it is much more of a capable car (the GTR).

I don't think it can be compared to an M3 because it is in a different league and I think it'd be unlikely that a potential buyer would be considering both (if they were I would say they didn't really know what sort of car they wanted).

If you then look at what appear to be very favourable residuals on the GTR it makes it a very attractive buy if that is your cup of tea. It isn't a car for me, but I can see why it is a massively attractive purchase and I can't help but think they are a very wise buy for those to whom they appeal.

Thing is, if you're spending that kind of money then you're ready for that type of maintenance cost anyway. Few people go into these things blindfolded and for what the car gives you back, as Woppum said, it is probably worth every penny.

Hi long time no speak +++, I have the 2010 M3 E90 and it's a good little car and performs ok, I had a day with the GTR last week and it just blew me away, but there a lot of disgruntled owners out there with issues, I am waiting till the end of the year before taking the leap, Nissan may just may have got their act together by then.

The GTR is in on another planet performance and handling wise.

Servicing can be performed by "Litchfields GTR" @ half Nissan main dealer costs and the warranty (for what it covers) is still intact.+++

To be honest I had no idea there we disgruntled GTR owners out there. I've not kept up to date in that respect and only know of the residual values from looking on Autotrader.

I haven't been in a GTR either. However, I have seen one make a Focus RS look like it was stood still. I see a white GTR most weeks and it certainly catches the eye.

To be honest I had no idea there we disgruntled GTR owners out there. I've not kept up to date in that respect and only know of the residual values from looking on Autotrader.

I haven't been in a GTR either. However, I have seen one make a Focus RS look like it was stood still. I see a white GTR most weeks and it certainly catches the eye.

Chris I will give you an example: The pedestrian Safety feature has gone off on it's own on more that one car, the cost to fix £11000.00 :eek:

It would not take much of a front ender to write the car off.

The Gtr is epic. I saw them at the ring and spa this wk end and they are bloody fast! I had a tussle with a white one on the straight at spa and it passed me at about 120ish but i was driving like a pansy. That said if i was going properly i dont think there would be much if anything in it.

I think they were all having trouble with their brakes though. I went out on one stint for over an hour with no problem, the GTR's 'looked' like they only managed a few laps. The standard brakes would have to be incredible to stand all that punishment. That said for the price of the car it embarrasses everything out there.

Bazz - when we getting you on track?

Wouldn't that be covered under warranty on any cars out there today?

What happens when it does go off?

Well the Bonnet comes up with the aid of two piston assy's and an ECU has to be replaced NOT re-set along with these piston assy's + some brackets and the deformed Bonnet if your unlucky.

One such case is dragging it's heels with Nissan as we speak, obviously you would think straight away warranty but not that simple by all accounts, and of course "Insurance claim" may or may not be covered, after all no accident damage as such to claim on.:cool:

The Gtr is epic. I saw them at the ring and spa this wk end and they are bloody fast! I had a tussle with a white one on the straight at spa and it passed me at about 120ish but i was driving like a pansy. That said if i was going properly i dont think there would be much if anything in it.

I think they were all having trouble with their brakes though. I went out on one stint for over an hour with no problem, the GTR's 'looked' like they only managed a few laps. The standard brakes would have to be incredible to stand all that punishment. That said for the price of the car it embarrasses everything out there.

Bazz - when we getting you on track?

Basically the gearbox oil is the problem, the temp must be kept under 120 Deg or the oil needs a change at I think £600+ but don't quote me it could be a diferent price but expensive, if of course you don't bother to change the Oil ( which is logged along with everything on the car) then NO warranty.:mad: hence a few laps and a cool down.

From what i hear the oil overheats from one lap at the ring if you are swift. i thought nissan didnt mind this now?
They do, just raised the temp allowed too 120 deg, if you get too 140 deg, you are required to change the Oil next DAY!!!!

The more I get into this car the less keen I am to own one, BUT drive one in anger and all is forgiven, what a performer, took my breath away.

Made my tuned M3 look like a Ford anglia.

Read this

2010 GT-R Warranty Voided For Denying Nissan Access To Your Black Box Data Look under important customer info.

Edited by Golfer

The point is if you don't go on track there is no issue. The nissan is very capable on track but even compared to the rs it would be a very expensive track car.the tyres, brakes and wearing on a car of this weight is bound to be expensive - plus there can be longevity in it. I have head even the 15k brakes overheat on track. At 1400kgs the pork goes all day long in standard form.

As a road car though I can't think of anything else I'd rather have?