Clocking modern Audi's - is it hard?

matt5791

Is it difficult to clock modern audi's? Does the computer keep a record if someone has fiddled with the mileage?

Just out of interest! I remember when the Jag XJ40 came out with a digital odometer and everyone said it was impossible to clock and then suddenly people were plugging labtops in and it was easier than ever before.

In otherwords, how confident can you be in the mileage of a second hand current generation (03 onwards) Audi?

Thanks for any advise,

Matt

Its very easy to clcok an Audi, just by removing the cluster, and gaining access to the NVM chip, you can re-code these with the right software. However i can plug my VCDS lead into any Audi and check to see if the car has been clocked. The last time i wanted to do this to a car i was buying, the dealer point blank refused. His choice i know, so i let my neighbour know (who's traffic Police) and he paid them a visit, and guess what, he was caught clocking cars.

Its very easy to clcok an Audi, just by removing the cluster, and gaining access to the NVM chip, you can re-code these with the right software. However i can plug my VCDS lead into any Audi and check to see if the car has been clocked. The last time i wanted to do this to a car i was buying, the dealer point blank refused. His choice i know, so i let my neighbour know (who's traffic Police) and he paid them a visit, and guess what, he was caught clocking cars.

So, I would be right in thinking that the computer in the car keeps a record of any changes made to the mileage?

Yes the ECU will also keep a log of the mileage, which can be compared against the Cluster. I will dig out some instructions

So, it's pretty easy to clock the car so it shows the wrong mileage on the dash, but extremely hard to fool anyone with the right equipment to interrogate the ECU? I take it it is practically impossible to change the mileage in the ECU?

Many thanks

So, it's pretty easy to clock the car so it shows the wrong mileage on the dash, but extremely hard to fool anyone with the right equipment to interrogate the ECU? I take it it is practically impossible to change the mileage in the ECU?

Many thanks

Why would YOU want to change the mileage?

New engine?

Digital odometers have been an absolute godsend to clockers, all the old tricks for spotting a car with a haircut are gone - checking screw heads around binnacle for signs of screwdriverage, wonky non lining up digits, finger prints on inside of instrument cluster.

Always buy a car with your eyes wide open, if the heavy wear areas look too new, and the rest of the car looks generally a bit more worn, then they've probably been replaced, things like pedal rubbers, gear knobs etc are cheap to replace and hide mileage, even steering wheels are cheap to replace thanks to ebay.

I hate to think how many 3 year old ex taxis (just out of warranty) there are running about as low mileage used cars, when in reality, they've probably done 200k.

In particular, be vary wary of any ex lease cars, cab drivers lease them on limited mileage policies, never service them, run them till the warranty runs out and clock the mileage for the annual service they are obliged to have (as they don't do enough mileage to require a distance service, apparently) thus avoiding any excess mileage penalty.

Why would YOU want to change the mileage?

New engine?

I do not want to change the mileage! I have bought a car and I am trying to assess the likelyhood that it has been clocked.

For what it's worth, I very much doubt it has been - but I'm just paranoid!

Edited by matt5791

Like Steve's said above, get all the documentation with the car, and get details of which dealers have done the services and validate those services against the mileage.

It's easy enough to do with the right kit and, even with VCDS, you can't tell if the right kit has been used.