Job change ideas

collease

Hey everyone. I need some ideas about what i could do with my life.

I have been thinking about this for a while now and have so far come up with nothing.

I trained to be a park ranger or countryside warden but once i got out of college and the one year of uni i did i had so much debt i needed to get a job to pay the bills. I have ended up working in accounts for the last 9 years which is ok as its a safe secure job but it's not what i want to do. I feel i need a new challenge. I don't have the funds to do a long open university course to aid the change so i am looking for something with on the job training. Start at the bottom sort of thing.

Just need some ideas of what areas are good to get into. Ideally i would like to get out of offices but as the ranger side is now sadly paying poo i just can't do it.

I know without knowing me you won't be able to make it personal really but any ideas of areas to look at would be helpful as i am stumped. I thought about IT or possibly a driving job as they seem to pay well even if its stressful.

+++

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll need to provide a bit more info before anyone can make any meaningful suggestions Collease.

I don't see how IT will get you 'out of the office', and although there are plenty of driving jobs, they are often stressful and unless you're class1 HGV, don't pay that well. Bro-in-law is a HGV driver and is mega-stressed.

How much do you need to earn ? Are you tied to one location ? Family / mortgaged ? How old are you ? Is there anything relating to your hobbies you could get into ? Tell us a bit more and I'm sure someone will come up with some ideas !

Wasn't it Sponge who applied to be a womble (or whatever those dudes in Land Cruisers on the Motorways are called), that's outdoors and driving related ? How about that ?

I think you'll need to provide a bit more info before anyone can make any meaningful suggestions Collease.

How much do you need to earn ? Are you tied to one location ? Family / mortgaged ? How old are you ? Is there anything relating to your hobbies you could get into ? Tell us a bit more and I'm sure someone will come up with some ideas !

Wasn't it Sponge who applied to be a womble (or whatever those dudes in Land Cruisers on the Motorways are called), that's outdoors and driving related ? How about that ?

I did think it was a bit vague (sorry). So here goes bit more detail. I'm 29 stuck in Norfolk as i have to stay close to inlaws (family reasons) I need to earn at least £15k a year. Can't work shifts which puts lots of jobs out. I am not bothered if i am in an office really thats not so important just want something thats more interesting. Hobbies are driving, Bats (the flying kind:cool:) cars and gardening. I love helping people. My problem is i don't have the book smarts or cash to do an in depth degree or qulification to help. I learn better and faster through actually doing it so on the job training best.

The womble job sounded great but looking into it the shifts would be a problem.

I think i am basically stuck i have left it too long and have got to the point where i am now going to have to either ask my work to pay for an AAT course that i probably won't understand to move up, or shut up and put up.:ffs:

Learn Sage products and go out setting them up, training, supporting etc..

Don't you have book keeping / accounting, work history ?

Yes have accounting work history. Sage course is not to exspensive so might be able to look at that. Hmmm interesting.

One question Chri5 are you suggesting setting up my own company?+++

Yes have accounting work history. Sage course is not to exspensive so might be able to look at that. Hmmm interesting.

One question Chri5 are you suggesting setting up my own company?+++

Wife is an accountant, she farms out some Sage work because it doesn't pay enough / under values her core skills.

Sage training ranges from £35 ph up. Great thing is that should the firm requiring Sage be progressive, then the apps become essential and thus the Sage installer, trainer and consulting increase.

Something that could be done as self learn / evening classes, applies to lots of businesses (so good for employed work), and gives a serious revenue stream for the person doing the work.

Start with the small Sage offerings for wage / salaries and move on towards the full accounting / reporting packages once your teeth have been cut on the easier products +++

Wife is an accountant, she farms out some Sage work because it doesn't pay enough / under values her core skills.

Sage training ranges from £35 ph up. Great thing is that should the firm requiring Sage be progressive, then the apps become essential and thus the Sage installer, trainer and consulting increase.

Something that could be done as self learn / evening classes, applies to lots of businesses (so good for employed work), and gives a serious revenue stream for the person doing the work.

Start with the small Sage offerings for wage / salaries and move on towards the full accounting / reporting packages once your teeth have been cut on the easier products +++

That sounds great i will have a look at that as a possible. +++

I was going to suggest Highways Agency Traffic Officer. :grin:

Have you ever worked shifts/nights before? Or is it you just don't like the sound of it?

Some Out-Stations just do earlies & lates, so there might not be a night shift to worry about.

SAMPLE 24/7 SHIFT PATTERN:

* Earlies 0600-1425

* Lates 1400-2225

* Nights 2200-0625

SAMPLE DOUBLE-DAY SHIFT PATTERN:

* Earlies 0600-1425

* Lates 1400-2225

Edited by Sponge

Have you considered a lawn care/gardening business or franchise? If you live in an area which has a lot of holiday lets, there has to be good business potential. The job is outdoors, varied, only work during the day, you should be capable of keeping your own books and should easily meet your salary aspirations.

There are a few franchises out there so let the search engine do the hard work - hope this helps!

I was going to suggest Highways Agency Traffic Officer. :grin:

Have you ever worked shifts/nights before? Or is it you just don't like the sound of it?

Some Out-Stations just do earlies & lates, so there might not be a night shift to worry about.

I have done shifts before but its because of the in-laws that i need more of a 9-5 job. I have to be about to cover for when the carers are not in so early and late starts and finishes are out i'm affraid. I will have a look though.+++

The garden lawn care idea is a good one i will have a look at that as around here there are loads of people that might be interested in that. +++

+++

fireman work shifts though

I was going to mention that but thought he might figure it out before hand :grin:

The site mentioned by rightey has told me i am suited for a job in the manual sector. Mainly told me to look at Building industry or the conservation trade.

Did however also suggest a job i could do at my current place of work. Parts person or motor engineer.

There is no buidling industry left in the UK. You could try Poland but the commute may pose an issue.

Why not look into farming? Plenty of carrots in Norfolk my old lovely :roflmao:

Thats true but not a fan of carrots. The peas would have been good but birdseye have pulled the plug on that one. :roflmao:

On a side note though i can drive a tractor so i could hire myself out as a road block at rush hour on some of the main roads round here.:devil:

Energy assessor - HIP's and all that ?

Green energy systems- Ground source heat consulting, solar energy (both water and volterlectic), air source heat exchangers / pumps, windmills.

Recently the suppliers have been forced to offer costs for over energy back in to the grid. This makes some of the uneconomical green systems viable- so likely to see a decent upscale in the market.

I'd go as far as saying (personal belief) that the job opportunities in and the green market in general will be one of the few golden career opportunities for the next decade or two +++

Energy assessor - HIP's and all that ?

Green energy systems- Ground source heat consulting, solar energy (both water and volterlectic), air source heat exchangers / pumps, windmills.

Recently the suppliers have been forced to offer costs for over energy back in to the grid. This makes some of the uneconomical green systems viable- so likely to see a decent upscale in the market.

I'd go as far as saying (personal belief) that the job opportunities in and the green market in general will be one of the few golden career opportunities for the next decade or two +++

Being an energy Assessor was greatly encouraged a few years ago when they were pushing the HIPs through on all properties. Now there are far too many of us and there's not really enough work to make a sole living on.

I do agree that there will be a green jobs surge. Just that those jobs have yet to be created.

Estate Agent is an option for you though. No shift stuff, no qualifications needed and most can be picked up as you go. You said you like to help people - help them find a house or get involved in management - help them get their boiler fixed :grin: You don't have to be a wonker to be an estate agent +++