Pirelli Gti owner.

billy2shots

Permission to come back.............

Having owned a MkV Gti and R32 i have spent the last 3 years in the wilderness.

Well no more as this Friday i pick up my Pirelli Gti. As soon as i sat in her i felt as if i had returned home. It was like slipping on those old comfortable shoes, you know the dirty smelly ones that the wife wont let you wear when you go out with her.

Spec as below

September 2008 Pirelli Gti (58)

Blue Graphite

5 Door

DSG

RNS-510 touch screen Nav

6 cd changer in front centre armrest

Aux port

Rear tints

Pirelli seats (marmite love it or hate it)

Miltek exhaust:o

230ps

One of only 230 in the country. :cool:

Cant wait till Friday now.

The edition 30 and Pirelli edition get the k04 turbo and a few other bits from the s3. The normal Gti has k03 turbo. Like mook says easy to tune and most owners are running close to 300bhp. VW played safe and the k04 is no where near troubled with stock power.

Gti=197bhp

Ed30/pirelli=227bhp

Extra 30bhp for the 30 year Anni of the Gti in England.

Pirelli edition has different wheels (pirelli tyres, funny that)

Different seat trim (some hate, i like)

Things like tinted windows and centre armrest were free with the Pirelli.

Edition 30 was going to be limited to 1400 cars but VW chernedout 2500.

Only 230/240 pirellis came to England after the Edition 30s.

Needless to say the Ed30 owners were not impressed having thought they had a rare example.

So, let me get this right.

You can buy a Pirelli or Edition 30 GTi and spend what, a grand or £1,500, and have a car putting out 350bhp through the front wheels? Is it actually driveable in that state of tune?

Bit more than £1500, but yes, 350bhp and 350 torques. The traction control on the Mk5 is a mile away from that on the Mk4 - it's very, very good.

I took Ed from APS's car out for a good spin when they were working on my S4 for half a day and it's very quick - proper Evo VIII MR speed and it pulls bloody well out of the twisties.

Horrible in the wet though - juts lights the tyres instantly if you're too heavy with your right foot, but that's just down to control.

I have a far worse problem in my Mk2 20vt with much higher power to weight, but fortunately have a non-standard ECU which supports switchable maps so I can take it right down to 230bhp when it's wet.

So, let me get this right.

You can buy a Pirelli or Edition 30 GTi and spend what, a grand or £1,500, and have a car putting out 350bhp through the front wheels? Is it actually driveable in that state of tune?

Pretty much or a lot less cash for 300bhp which i favour. When i first bought a Gti back in 2005 i remember the talk that the DSG clutch/s might not hold up to tunning. Its now recognised as far better than the manuel and is safe upto 400 torques (ft/lb????) Software updates for the DSG aswell.

One thing im not sure about is the software in the Pirelli is a little later than that of the Eddy so cant use the normal map. Must do some reading.