DRL wannabes......foglights to manual

Soulboy

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ruling detail as I understand it is that under ECE R48, DRL's must emit white light of between 400 and 1200 candela.

Note "white light", hence partly why LED's are used.

But many cars have traditional yellowish type bulbs - Golf MKVI for example (none gti models) that are somewhere between side lights and headlights in terms of brightness. I guess there are also intensity guidelines as well as brightness.

Doesn't Tipex live where there are lots of old duffers dodgering about on pavements and on mobility scooters. Perhaps he could put this whole DRL thing to bed by conducting a 'live' test with the various DRL's available. The car with the fewest dents in the bonnet after 12 months of not applying brakes to those who step off kerbs is the winner.

But many cars have traditional yellowish type bulbs - Golf MKVI for example (none gti models) that are somewhere between side lights and headlights in terms of brightness. I guess there are also intensity guidelines as well as brightness.

....Indeed the Mk6 Golf does, but I'm just quoting part of the ECE R48 rule unless it has very recently been updated. Personally I dislike the Mk6 Golf's versions - They're nothing more than glorified yellow sidelights. [RR waits for some wag to tell me that mine are only glorified foglights]. Does VW call them "DRL's"?

The UK rules on DRL's (instigated by Europe) aren't 'live' yet and not expected until sometime next year at the earliest AFAIK. I guess we are going through a transition.

Proper (or proppa if you prefer) fogs can only light up when other lights are on as well - My DRL's only light up when all other lights are off.

Edited by RedRobin

Doesn't Tipex live where there are lots of old duffers dodgering about on pavements and on mobility scooters. Perhaps he could put this whole DRL thing to bed by conducting a 'live' test with the various DRL's available. The car with the fewest dents in the bonnet after 12 months of not applying brakes to those who step off kerbs is the winner.

Ha!

It's not the pensioners who step out in front of cars, it's all the p1ssed up d1ckheads of an evening who think they are harder than 2 tonnes of metal, and nonchalantly stroll across the road like they have the right to be there.

I don't care what the highway code says, roads are for cars, if you don't agree you'll probably get hurt!

I don't find them blinding. I just find them blindingly cockish.

Switch them off. You don't need them and you look like a total cock with them on.

/oldMrMemodeoff

Let's face it, MM, this is just a fashion statement, no different to the girlies on their Mumsnet/fashion-police forums going "oh, calf-length skirts and brown gussets {or whatever} are *so* last year". :roflmao:

It has feck all to do with blinding, safety, or actually cars at all. Admit it. :grin:

I was coming out of London last night and had an old 5 series behind me. Tiny and dim (almost off) side lights and fog lights.

I don't get it. It is meant to look sporty? In my mirror it just spelt out T W A T.

Edited by Scotty

Doh! Posting about last night has reminded me that I reckon I'm gonna get my first ever points. On the way in to London I was doing around (maybe a smidge over) 80 and didn't see the van on the bridge until about 750M to go. There was nothing in front of me so I would obviously have been his target. Doh! :ffs:

I was coming out of London last night and had an old 5 series behind me. Tiny and dim (almost off) side lights and fog lights.

I don't get it. It is meant to look sporty? In my mirror it just spelt out T W A T.

Yep - I don't understand that either. It's obviously not for drivers illumination of the road, it's just for them to 'look sporty' as you say.

Yep - I don't understand that either. It's obviously not for drivers illumination of the road, it's just for them to 'look sporty' as you say.

....I know we have discussed this subject to death but that's exactly the point about DRL's: They're not for illumination but are by definition a passive signal lighting unit. Foglights are an active illumination lighting unit.

....I know we have discussed this subject to death but that's exactly the point about DRL's: They're not for illumination but are by definition a passive signal lighting unit. Foglights are an active illumination lighting unit.

I know what you mean, but in this case the driver has his main headlights on the first notch - so 'side lights' AND fog lights on.

DRL's I like. If used properly. And to stoke this further - I like your DRL's :eek:. As you use them as such.

With fogs on (without fog), I don't get it. Even more so with dim side-lights. It is a poser/look at me thing.

Or to put it even simpler, DRLs and rear foglights are for being seen, front foglights are (primarily) for seeing with.

I can't remotely explain why it should be "cool", but I do remember cruising round in urban areas at night with sidelights and front fogs on in my first few "nicer" cars (I thought I was particularly cool in the 24v Senator, sidelights, fogs, big choons and cruise set to 29mph... :P ).

I do remember cruising round in urban areas at night with sidelights and front fogs on in my first few "nicer" cars (I thought I was particularly cool in the 24v Senator, sidelights, fogs, big choons and cruise set to 29mph... :P ).

OK, so that was last week - what's your ride this week? :P

Even more so with dim side-lights. It is a poser/look at me thing.

Side lights are because fog lights won't come on unless you at least have side lights on.

As for the Senator, when I had my Manta GTE, a mate had a black 24v Senator and it ate my Manta for breakfast, plus he had a little blue revolving light (made out of one of those construction site/skip warning orange lights, with the orange bit removed, and some blue perspex in it's place, motorway journeys have never been that quick and easy since*.

*well, the Legacy with full sirens and alternating headlight flashers worked quite well.