Meguairs Advice

richy_uk

I've just had a look at the Meguairs Car RX thingy and it's advice and product selection make absolute sense. Basically, I'm a lazy arse but I want my car looking shiny most of the time. So the Car RX advised the following: -

Gold Class Wash

Deep Crystal shine (optional)

Scratch X (optional)

Gold Class Polish

Quik Detailer (to top up the shine)

Quite happy to ditch a garage full of Autoglym and a load of Audi stuff, but there's a very simple question.

If I adopt this system, how close in terms of depth and shine would it be to 2 coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish plus one coat of extra gloss protection ?

Ditto, although on my mid-tone colour car I couldnt see a great difference to the Autoglym stuff. Meguiars was far easier to use though. No white s**t everywhere and much easier to buff off. Plus you get 2 products combined into one (polish & wax) which means less work.

The gold class wash is much easier than the Autoglym surprisingly too. It has a 'sheeting' agent which lets the water run off the far so there is less to wipe down afterwards. It works too. Even better if you follow their advice and take the spray nozzle off your hose and just let the water run in streams - it runs right off the car!

The autoglym super resin polish was the best product for sorting me out when I clay bar'd too much and got clay stuck to the car though - it really helped me out there!

Thanks for the feedback.

So, to summarise, the product choice is ok for me being a lazy arse, the wax won't look like I've spilled a back of cocaine everywhere and my arm's won't hust cos it's easier to apply and polish off.

But back to one question (yes or no answers please), will 1 coat of Gold Class have the equivalent level and depth of shine as 2 coats of Autoglym Resin Polish and 1 coat of Extra Gloss Protector, i.e. 1 x Meguairs vs 3 x Autoglym ?

I dont know about equivalent but in my experience they will be very similar. The one thing that it doesnt do as well as your old combo is remove contaminants. The Autoglym polish was actually more like a polish/cleaner, whereas the Gold Class is a Polish/Wax. If you have little spots of tar, flies, sap etc left after the shampoo then the Atoglym SRP would go some way to removing these. Gold Class wont. However, the Autoglym was far from perfect in this respect anyway, and I now use a claybar which is unbe-effing-lievable! Even if I had stuck with SRP then I would have started claybarring anyway.

If you are really prepared to do separate coats of polish/wax etc on the car then you could always look into the Meguiars 3-stage. This is meant to be in another league again!

[ QUOTE ]

When spring comes I need some new wax, shampoo, polish etc to take care of my car.. And since you all talk so warmly about Meguiars, maybe I'll try it..

So.. What products should be in the basic package??

And Bushy, would you ship to Norway??

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs, just sent a large order to Sven, basically I cannot offer free transport so I diso**** the products, which would normally cover the carriage element, then add the shipping on at cost

[ QUOTE ]

If you are really prepared to do separate coats of polish/wax etc on the car then you could always look into the Meguiars 3-stage. This is meant to be in another league again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I say, just a lazy arse, maximum effect for minimum effort. If I get a equivalent shine after applying 1 coat of Gold Class, then I can't see why anyone would bother arsing around with 2 coats of SRP and 1 coat of EGP.

I assume you only 'clay bar' when you have to so it's not as if you're spending hours on it. Therefore, all this satisifies my criteria of continued laziness. Thanks again for the advice.

Question for Bushy.....on the Extreme car care site and other TSN users have mentioned it, there are loads of different applicators, cloths, microfibre towels, terry towels, flexi blades, synthetic chammys etc. For a simpleton like me, what do you use and when from washing, drying, polishing and buffing ?

Apologies for being a pest, but I'd rather place an order for the lot in one go. Ta. grin.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

on the Extreme car care site and other TSN users have mentioned it, there are loads of different applicators, cloths, microfibre towels, terry towels, flexi blades, synthetic chammys etc. For a simpleton like me, what do you use and when from washing, drying, polishing and buffing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand (sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it goes like this:

Micro Fibre for drying after a wash (instead of chamois)

Applicator pads (or the orbital buffer cool.gif) for applying wax, polish etc.

Terry towels for finishing off wax etc., eventually 'Ultimate Wipe' for the finishing touch...

PS: check out the video centre, most enlightning... wink.gif

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

on the Extreme car care site and other TSN users have mentioned it, there are loads of different applicators, cloths, microfibre towels, terry towels, flexi blades, synthetic chammys etc. For a simpleton like me, what do you use and when from washing, drying, polishing and buffing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand (sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it goes like this:

Micro Fibre for drying after a wash (instead of chamois)

Applicator pads (or the orbital buffer cool.gif) for applying wax, polish etc.

Terry towels for finishing off wax etc., eventually 'Ultimate Wipe' for the finishing touch...

PS: check out the video centre, most enlightning... wink.gif

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must sound like an abolute dummy that needs to be spoon fed smashfreakB.gif

So, stuff goes on with an applicator pad, dries, then wipes off with a terry towell.

The you use the Ultimate Wipe ? What's all that about then ? Is it to even out the finish left by the terry towel ?

And another thing, if I used the quick wax stuff, what would you wipe that off with ? confused.gif

Yeah, you don't actually 'need' the ultimate wipe, but it's said it just gives that little extra touch after you've finished with the towels. And it takes care of any residue which may be left by the towels.

For the quick wax (or any wax) I'd also use the same procedure. wink.gif

Richy check out the web site extremecarcare.co.uk. Basically with the quick wax i spray product onto bodywork and use small applicator pad to massage into paint, if its a small area i put product directly on to pad first. Leave for a little while and then use either terry towel or ultimate wipe to buff off (both do the same thing but i prefer wipe). You'll find the applicator pads really handy for different things like putting on tyre gel etc. Obviously you will pads for certain jobs and carry on using that particulary one. A good thing to speed up your cleaning is to get a lambswool mit, this is for cleaning bodywork (water and shampoo) and fits over your hand, you wont believe how much quicker this is than using a sponge.

Good luck

Luke beerchug.gif