Shearer to Cardiff...

NewNiceMrMe

Cardiff City are holding talks with Alan Shearer about becoming their new manager.

Wow. I'm astonished they'd risk it, I really am.

He has 6 weeks or so management experience and that ended in relegation.

Why on earth would you sack Dave Jones and replace him with Alan Shearer?

Not that they have too many Welsh players of course.

I think it's sensible of Cardiff to have declined his application. I'm just surprised they even interviewed him.

By the way, there was an interesting snippet out of Villa Park yesterday.

Randy Lerner was told of interest from Mark Hughes in the vacant position. His reply was that he would not be considered due to the fact he learned that he resigned from the Fulham post by email and Lerner considered that highly unprofessional. I'm surprised at Hughes for doing that too, it does seem remarkably inconsiderate.

Not that they have too many Welsh players of course.

I think it's sensible of Cardiff to have declined his application. I'm just surprised they even interviewed him.

By the way, there was an interesting snippet out of Villa Park yesterday.

Randy Lerner was told of interest from Mark Hughes in the vacant position. His reply was that he would not be considered due to the fact he learned that he resigned from the Fulham post by email and Lerner considered that highly unprofessional. I'm surprised at Hughes for doing that too, it does seem remarkably inconsiderate.

Sky sports news said earlier it easy Shearer who turned the job down. Has that changed now?

Didn't realise Hughs resigned by email, I thought that was Mcleish sp, is it both? If so where are their balls for not doing it face to face.

I was under the impression Hughs had a clause in his contract allowing him to talk to other clubs after a year in his job. That would ring alarm bells for me ad a chairman and the contract negotiations could be over there and then.

Yeah McLeish did that as well so i'd be surprised if Lerner used that for a reason. Would Villa really consider McLeish, i'm genuinely astonished by the approach for him, there'd be uproar from the fans and I don't think he plays the kind of football they'd like to see.

He's massively odds on with the bookies but just doesn't ring true. Might lay the bet :grin:

I think there is a slight difference here in that McLeish had already raised his possible resignation with the BCFC board and he went on holiday to think about it - so they were awaiting a decision anyway.

In Hughes case he'd apparently said nothing - until the email arrived. They are two very different scenarios when you look at it like that.

Shearer was turned down by Cardiff according to the Legends on Real Radio. He's told them he was very impressed by the set up and Chairman but that on this occasion the club didn't think it was the right time. I think the statements have just allowed him a little face saving until now.