Waterproof connectors

I need to replace my intercom in the Atom. The current one was fitted at the factory and I think it's had too much contact with water and is flaky. I am replacing it with the latest model from the same manufacturer but the original power lead connector provided by Ariel will need to be replaced. Does anyone know where to get one?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9283.0;attach=7447;image

I have seen the supaseal connectors here:-

Small 2 way sealed connector kit. Red secondary lock.: SC2.66KIT

but they look like they need a crimping tool to install, or can I use alternative tools to get the same effect?

Self Amalgamating Tape

And I'm being serious. It's stretchy rubber, self amalgamating (it bonds to itself) and would work really well.

I'd cut the cable tie, see if you can re clamp the copex flex cover to the plug and then cocoon it in se tape. Make sure you stretch it as you wrap which does something to the molecules and makes it lovely and tacky.

Henleys Green Compound and self amalgamating tape - the number of bodged jobs I saw on marine deck equipment back in the day* :roflmao:

That said, self amalgamating tape is brilliant stuff and it lasts.

*edit - and if all else fails, wrap everything in Denso Tape knowing the 2nd and 3rd engineers could never be bothered with the mess of taking it all off to check the work before signing jobs off.

Edited by Milo

Well if it's good enough for boats and divers, then it will fine for a over sized go kart.

The IEE won't allow joint boxes for electrical works unless they are serviceable (read: accessible) so for any un serviceable joins (read: in floors, walls or ceilings) it's out with the crimps and sheath with se.

A crimped join + se is deemed permanent and thus gets use occasionally, although 19/20 times, good design means no need for joints.

I have used the connector that you show on bike lights. There is a need to crimp it, but very simple to do. The rubber bungs seem to seal the incoming leads quite well too. Battery has been fine riding a mountain bike in all weathers right through the year.

• 3 weeks later...

You can buy the individual connectors on eBay - look for waterproof connector pins or superseal connector etc. The just crimp on but are a bit tricky to get just right so they click into the housing properly, shouldn't be a problem if don't need to connect/disconnect frequently.