Scumball cars - what would you buy now?

shark_90

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scumball revival!

I might have to break the rules a touch, as the mrs would cut my knackers off if I bought another car, yet she still has to drive her old knacker of a polo about.

You can buy Imprezas for a grand though, so it'd be in keeping, and I'll leave the dent and knackered side skirt where her indoors drove it through a hedge, and the moss growing on it. :rolleyes:

Morning benders. :)

Scumball 2006, awesome, new friends made who are still bumming cats together to this day. Scumball 2007, the awkward second album, much too big, spoiled the whole thing. Was a disaster looking for a venue. Scumball 2008, small group, mainly friends. Best of the lot.

The Mental Rental adventures I've been lucky enough to join in with over the last 2 years have been at least as much fun, cheaper, laissez faire - and there was never anything more official than everyone "happening" to have the same hastily printed directions to the same hotel we'd all booked after a flurry of email.

I'll also stick my neck out and say I've had more fun hounding crap cars through great roads and scenery than I ever had trying to make progress around the Ring whilst constantly watching my mirrors and worrying about stacking it.

I'm onboard for a group of mates doing something fun and silly in the spirit of Scumball, but can't see the event coming back as-was. Who's got a plan, then?

p.s. The Millenium Falcon and the E30 are both sub-£1000, but I couldn't part with either for sentimental reasons!

I don't reckon the sub-£1k thing would have to be steadfast. Tipex's Impreza would do fine and I'd take my track toy, despite it being maybe a couple of quid over.

Agree it couldn't get back to 06 or 08 stylee - too much work. But you know I organise the Ring and Spa trip every year and it's not a lot of work.

The Mental Rental adventures I've been lucky enough to join in with over the last 2 years have been at least as much fun...

I would thank you for the compliment, but as you know, I'm not the organiser. ;)

I've had more fun hounding crap cars through great roads and scenery than I ever had trying to make progress around the Ring whilst constantly watching my mirrors and worrying about stacking it.

I'm also kinda done with the 'ring, as much fun as it is, I've ticked that box.

Picking up on Mook's comment about the cars, I think the age/style of car is more important than value, and perhaps the "club 18-30" thing we discussed some time ago is the way forward (ie 18-30 year old cars, Y to K plate stuff), most of us love cars from this era and if we don't already have one can pick up something for a few hundred quid that would entertain on a roadtrip/trackday. That Chateau in France with the private racetrack was one potential destination as I recall. I'm not organising anything though, I have enough mad projects with s2b2 in the pipeline, plus some other 'mental rental' adventures planned already.

I do want an excuse to buy/rag/write off an Alfa though...

Edited by theduisbergkid

I too am loving the 18-30 thing, and a Chateau with a private race track sounds funking perfect for those sort of cars, no worrying about scratching some Germans Porsche, dumping oil on the ring, or getting bankrupted for denting a crash barrier!

It does rule out my Subaru though, as it's only 11 years old, bugger, I'm gonna have to sell the fecker then, still, that leaves me with enough budget for my other idea, which would qualify.

Scumball 18-30 reunion!

Regarding car age and the 18-30 thing, I recall Omi and I agreed that cars in production or designed 18-30 years ago should be eligible, which might help Tipex +++

After rummaging about in my inbox, I found the venue I was trying to recall earlier, it is called Mas du Clos. Pics...

aerienne2.jpg

Owned by this guy, who is a right *ahem* character...

bardinon.jpg

They do accommodation as I recall, and he has a collection of old Ferraris, plus a decent cellar.

It's located here, maybe a stopover in Paris on the way down ?

carte.jpg

I am NOT the organiser.... :coffee:

Edited by theduisbergkid