Adding iPod interface to new 2011 A6

Muppet_man

Hi Guys,

I am just waiting for my new 2.0 TDi A6 to arrive. They didn't have one with an iPod interface in stock, and the dealers wanted £450.00 to retro fit it, which is a bit of a rip off.

Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere on what you need to add this to the car, or if the best bet is to just use something like a Dension.

Cheers chaps.

Just picked up my fathers A6 today, no iPod interface, but, it does have an Aux in as standard and SD card functionality and also bluetooth interface for music, so I am not sure if it's worth retrofitting TBH.

It's not going to bother him too much not having the interface, but I would miss it, having had it in the current A4.

Cheers Dan. I was under the impression (but I could well be wrong) that the Bluetooth (and indeed the aux in obviously) does not give you track data and control of the iPod from the controls and steering wheel.

I'll be very happy if you tell me otherwise however, so please, go ahead and make my day.

;)

Oh and my mate bought an A6 (previous generation) without AMI so he went to the dealer. They weren't going to do a proper Audi retro fit as they were going to install a Dension .... so my mate just did it himself. It's not perfect but not far off.

The MMI in the A4 is superb, they should have that in the A6 as standard although I guess they need to allow other media devices to be used, so bluetooth is the logical answer. The iPhone connects and charges, giving access to music andbphone function, so I am very happy.

One thing icant do is import to the jukebox... Tried different CDs and none will copy over, despite the manual saying they will... Have you managed tondo so?

You can't import from CD, it's disabled. Only SD cards. It is posisble to enable importing from CD with VCDS on the HDD nav.

As for AMI, it depends which level of nav you have on your A6, the basic A6 (SD card NAV), no one has cracked that yet, but the HDD nav ala the A7 it is possibe to fit AMI as I have done so already.

It's coming with what ever was standard on the SE version. So I would guess that that is the lower version.

What was it like to fit it to the version you have?

I imagine it's still possible since the upgrade when you order the car doesn't require you to have the HDD option fitted as well.

That's what i thought!! What price did you get it for? [PM me if you want].

Really love the Avant, but lease co reckons only the saloon comes with free service/maint package.

Going to pop down to a dealership this weekend, my Qashqai is due to be replaced in March, but i need to get this ordered before end of month for the deal.

Just not sure if it's too big for me - wont fit in the garage!!

I was already lent one for a weekend, so I'm already prepared for it.

I was genuinely surprised by how unlike a big car it drives in all the right ways. It was very nimble, and never found it to be in the slightest wallowy or mushy. It averaged 55 MPG when I drove it, which was without any kind of real run on major roads. I did reset it later and used it's very useful turn of speed (I have a BMW 535D as well, and while the Audi's 177 BHP isn't a match for the Beemers 286, it's really surprisingly quick) and still managed 41 MPG

I live in a very rural part of Suffolk down country lanes where I was chuffed by it's excellent road manners and medium car tight handling.

The ride was very comfortable without being either armchair like nor to overtly over stiff.

I though the one that was lent to me was jammed with expensive extras like the full sat nav and leather and phone interface, but I then found out it was all standard kit.

Overall I thought that at £219.00 a month it was the bargain of the century. It costs me twice that to run the BMW which is now going to go.

You've still got a few days left, I would go and try one if I was you, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Cheers

;)

• 2 weeks later...
You can't import from CD, it's disabled. Only SD cards. It is posisble to enable importing from CD with VCDS on the HDD nav.

As for AMI, it depends which level of nav you have on your A6, the basic A6 (SD card NAV), no one has cracked that yet, but the HDD nav ala the A7 it is possibe to fit AMI as I have done so already.

Do you know what else can be enabled using the VCDS? I was thinking of dial sweep and ambient lighting (I'm not sure what is/isn't installed as it wasn't an option on my car but I'm interested to see if the door card lights are there but just not turned on, footwell lights etc.). Anything else interesting as well, I have the Tech Pack so got AMI, HDD nav and the like.

Do you do it as a service?