John Terry to be charged by CPS

Andy_Bangle

John Terry to face criminal charges over alleged racist abuse | Football | guardian.co.uk

The Crown Prosecution Service has announced that John Terry will face criminal charges relating to an alleged racist slur aimed at the QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

Terry, who denies wrongdoing, will appear before West London magistrates' court on 1 February 2012, charged with a racially aggravated public order offence.

If only.

The FA have set themselves a precedent. If Terry is found guilty, then on top of a criminal sentence he should also be looking at a bare minimum of the penalty handed out to Suarez, and in my view should be stripped of the England captaincy (he should never have got it back) and never play for England again. The latter would make football sense anyway, seeing as he's been nothing but a f*cking liability for the last two years.

• 1 month later...
They will, they're just (rightly) keeping out of it until criminal proceedings are complete.

Probably fair to point out it is wrong to pin FA sanctions on legal case (even though they will bottle it is non-guilty and do just that) as different burdens of proof are required for Criminal vs FA cases (beyond all reasonable doubt vs on the balance of probability).

It would suit the FA to not charge Terry by blurring this distinction and make racism a foreigner thing (ala Suarez)

True indeed. I'm reasonably open minded about this particular case. Innocent until proved guilty and all that. I just despise Terry anyway and can't bring myself to support any team with him in it. Felt the same when he was stripped of the captaincy first time round, only reinforced my feelings when he was given the armband back.

A trial after the finals suits the FA. If he is found guilty, any subsequent FA sanction involving his England career will (should!) be largely hypothetical.

That's not good enough.

He should be suspended from all international duties until the case has been heard.

Thats right, guilty untill proven innocent.

The trial had to be before the tournament and looked like it would be March time. Key witnesses were not available due to fixtures. So I am guessing those witnesses are players? Why the hell should a trial be held up because of that?

If he did it or not the man deserves a hearing and should not be judged untill then (on this matter, past behaviour is a different story).

The FA has been happy to suspend players pending a final outcome on other matters, such as missing drugs tests to choose an entirely random sample... er, example. Are we saying alleged racism is less serious?

On many criminal matters, an employee - whatever their profession - is likely to be suspended from their job from the point they are charged with a final disciplinary decision pending the trial.

As far as I'm concerned, Terry is absolute scum and should never have had his captaincy reinstated. England will never progress while he and his like are still involved.

As someone said elsewhere, what sort of utter reprobate do you have to be to resort to Ashley Cole as a character witness?

Not defending Terry, just playing devils advocate.

Missing a drugs test is an offence in itself though.

I think suspention from work depends on the alleged offence and your job role.

Ashley Cole. Well I guess the link their is that he is black and a friend of Terry. If I was accused of being homophobic then my gay friend would be a good choice of person to speak up for me.

As I say I'm just offering another side to the debate. Thank god you lot are not on jury service where they ask you to treat the case on it's merits and forget about past crimes.

Gut feeling says he is guilty. If proved then I hope they throw the book at him, jail term, Chelsea sack him and his International career is finished.

Thats IF he is proved guilty and not before.