Earphones for music listening

Andrew

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then, quick one while I listen to them in the depths of writing a proposal about SANs ...

They sound pretty flipping good. I came from E2Cs and I think they are more detailed than them - I'm no audiophile though mate. The volume on them is much much more so the volume is about 40% down on what I'd normally have it at. Bass is ok for me too but then I'm not massively into my resonating bass.

I gather they need time to "burn in" so hols next week with a mixture of films, cr4p 80s tracks, Sasha and Digweed and Armin Van Burren should do the trick. Armin at the moment (well, ASOT) sounds pretty flipping good ripped at 256.

Not played with all the ear buds yet - that will be tonight's exercise after some real exercise.

Cheers Andrew - are the 535's supposed to be more "bassy" ? Most of what I listen to is quite heavy on that side of things...

Based on the reviews I read then yes, I think they are but my concern with them is that they were too good. I work in Sunbury so if you wanted to have a listen or borrow them for a few nights once I'm back then no bother - there are loads of earbuds so it is possible to do this without sharing ear wax!

Incidentally - got ASOT 500 on and when the bass kicks in I reckon it sounds really good.

A bit more then. They are definitely louder than other earphones I've used. The bass seems good to me - got some dodgy mash up I did of Ray Keith Renegade and Foulplay's The Finest Illusion and there is a kick there. It isn't reverberating my eardrums but I reckon that isn't a bad thing!

I am not entirely sure of the bitrate on an iPhone though as some of the tracks sound a bit ordinary but I reckon that is the source more than anything as the 256 stuff on the work laptop (Mac in Scotland so can't test on that yet) sounds really good. I've tried Embrace Gravity and Foo Fighters Times Like These on the iPhone (as well as the mash up above but given the original source was vinyl I didn't expect it to sound sensational). Actually some other stuff sounds really good - Alexis Jordan Happiness and Del Amitri Kiss This Thing Goodbye. (jesus, what an insight)

I'm not sure what else I'd expect from a set of headphones though - I can't see what the 535s would offer so I'd be interested to give them a listen. Similarly, would the 315s have done as good a job? Are the 425s better than the E2Cs - yes (and much more expensive too), but not in the same way an amazing hifi setup blows the mind over anything else you might have heard.

I'll let you know if time and this "burn in" malarke makes any difference at all.

My 535s arrived yesterday from AccessoryJack. First impressions are that the build quality is great and the accessories bundle is very nice. They are significantly larger than my Ety ER-6i's and a bit more fiddly to get in. Sound-wise they will take a bit of getting used to as I have been using the Etys without filters for a while since they got blocked, and as a result were very bright sounding. The 535s have a much fuller mid-range and bass which initially makes them sound less airy and detailed than the Etys. They sound more like over-ear headphones than IEMs to me in terms of the soundstage they present. They have great attack and rhythm, and have quite high sensitivity so go loud but without losing composure or becoming distorted. As I got off the train this morning I put on AC/DC's Back in Black at suitably high volume, which put a big grin on my face all the way to the office. :)

Noise isolation seems very good with the "black olive" tips that are fitted by default. I've tried the other tips but they didn't sound any better and in some cases were less comfortable e.g. the tri-flange ones that go right inside your lughole.

Might look into a standalone music player as the 535s pick up a lot of hiss from the headphone jack of my HTC.

Nice!

I did a comparison of the old E2Cs and the 425s yesterday and the 425s definately pick up more odd noises from tracks, recording quality I guess (256kbps off iTunes). Having said that, I didn't notice the odd noises before doing the comparison so it doesn't bother me. Do you notice much of that Rob?

I'm loving the 425s though. I've got the yellow tips on mine and do miss the larger yellow tips you got with the older variants of Shure devices. Might try the larger black olives which I originally dismissed. The white flange things I just don't get at all - your lug holes would have to be about 6 inches deep!

I'm with you on the distrotion too - I can up the volume all the way and the sound is fine but my ears complain which means listening volume is much lower which is a bonus.

I only notice it between tracks but it is is quite annoying. I'm only listening to CD rips in FLAC format so it shouldn't be that hissy.

My iPod Nano suffers badly from hiss using the headphone socket, but nothing if in a dock/car kit. However my iPhone is totally noise free. This is the same no matter what headphones are used. Keep meaning to take the Nano back to Apple store.

• 1 year later...

I don't like music enough to spend more than a tenner on headphones, and even then i'd struggle to tell the difference from the free ones my phone came with!

I figured as much, you don't need expensive headphones to listen to talk radio - the source of at least 95% of your 'expertise'..!

It's pretty interesting people's attitude to equipment for audio/video I think. Take TV for example, I'll often watch the SD channels simply cos I can't be bothered to change over to HD - I would make more of an effort for movies though, but it's not that important to me.

Music though - no, I'm far more fussy. Possibly cos if I'm in the office or on site I'll always have my headphones & music/podcasts on. The Apple supplied units are pretty average in quality but the biggest issue for me is that they're just bloody uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

So I don't mind spending a bit on quality - my main 'on head' ones that I wear are these and I think they're utterly brilliant (but then they should be for the price). Very comfortable to wear for long periods, and great sound quality too. 

I've also got some in ear ones - these. I tend to use these in offices where having a set of full-size headphones on gets noticed, or when I'm wearing a suit and the full-size units would look stupid. Not quite as comfortable as the the full size units for long term usage, but the sound quality is ace.

Both sets phone compatible too.

As I'm quite fussy about my audio, I've been through a number of units over the years - some of them massive disappointments. BOSE, yes, I'm looking at you. Also, had some BEATS units that I thought were vastly over-rated. Biggest disappointment though was for some HK in-ears. Sound was terrible, and they were impossible to get to fit properly, kept falling out.

On the rare occasions I listen to music when i'm not in the car, it's never more than a few songs as I get bored quite quickly, I can't contemplate being plugged in all day? That'd annoy me after a bit.

I like to hear what's going on around me too so it's incredibly rare for me to wear headphones, and certainly not when i'm at home or at work (in the office not the car obviously), I like to just have music on in the background so I can still hear the door, other people etc.

Edited by Tipex

I don't have a fixed office don't forget - I'll often hot desk around our various sites or my customers, so I've no real interest to what else goes on in those offices.

Wasn't a criticism, just giving an insight into someone that's not into listening to music, that's not to say I don't occasionally enjoy listening, if a song comes on I like i'm just as likely to crank it up for a bit, but soon turn the volume down as find loud music tiresome.

To be fair, it's probably more to do with valuing peace and quiet these days having 3 kids under 7 years old, I used to listen to music a lot more, and still can't resist buying the tech, it just rarely gets used.

Can't even remember the last time I turned on the sound system in the living room?