F1 is back after summer break, but what's going to happen for the rest of the season?

Mook

Back at Spa this weekend, which is mega. Can't believe it's 12 years since I was there for this.

K1WuWu8kGak

I've missed the last few races for various reasons, and see that the standings are still fairly well stacked for Alonso on 164, Webber on 124, Vettel on 122, Hamilton on 117 and Raikonnen on 116.

Is Alonso going to walk the rest of the year, even if he doesn't pull in many wins, or is someone going to jump skippety to the front?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know what, going to an F1 race has no real appeal to me at all.

If you offered me those I wouldn't want to waste the money travelling there. I've always felt the same about F1. Yet I enjoy watching it on TV.

The tv coverage is so good. I know what you mean. However, some of the best weekends I've ever had have been on long GP weekends. Thursday to Sunday, no wife, no kids, no work, like minded blokes out to watch racing, drink, relax, mess about, drink, eat. It's just great fun and memories.

I know, Gold was sold out. I understand there's some trailer trash tickets left for you :D

Come on. You know I love to spend vast amounts of money at Silverstone. If I ordered bronze tickets I'd put my neighbours address on the envelope!

Do you actually get to see much racing though? I don't know what it is about it, it just doesn't appeal at all to me.

I'd rather take tickets to any main court match in a Tennis slam, or a boxing seat for any title fight.

In fact I'd even prefer going to the SportsDirect.com stadium to watch football (I seem to be getting offered lots of Toon tickets at the moment, so I've obviously done something very wrong). At least you can see it all!

A lot of it is the noise, the speed, the grip. F1 cars are unbelievable at speed. There is limited viewing but most F1 fans go for the 3 days and the weekend builds up over that time. There's also lots of other stuff going on. I think Monte Carlo or Singapore would be a good race for you. Lots to see, hotels nearby and something else to do if you get bored!

Do you actually get to see much racing though?

Depends where you sit, checkout my view at Montreal, I've also posted up the view from the Malaysian GP in the past which was just as good, if not better.

True, you do see a hell of a lot more racing on TV. However you only get to see the F1 race and not all the support races, walking around the pits, the sounds etc. As Luke said, a 3-day ticket buys you a lot more than just a 2 hour race +++

A lot of it is the noise, the speed, the grip. F1 cars are unbelievable at speed. There is limited viewing but most F1 fans go for the 3 days and the weekend builds up over that time. There's also lots of other stuff going on. I think Monte Carlo or Singapore would be a good race for you. Lots to see, hotels nearby and something else to do if you get bored!

Monte Carlo appeals cos MrsMe would do that too and that'd make it easier for me. She'd spend a shitload more than I would getting there.:roflmao:

Depends where you sit, checkout my view at Montreal, I've also posted up the view from the Malaysian GP in the past which was just as good, if not better.

True, you do see a hell of a lot more racing on TV. However you only get to see the F1 race and not all the support races, walking around the pits, the sounds etc. As Luke said, a 3-day ticket buys you a lot more than just a 2 hour race +++

Hmm, that's not opening for me (hosted on Dropbox and it tries, but won't open the m4v file).

Bangle. 145mb FFS! :roflmao:

Right, well I've watched it (if I didn't have 100mb here I'd have said thanks but no thanks!) and the first thing I'd say is I love the classic cars at the start.

Obviously it can't be argued that you've got a very good view and I was surprised how close some of those shots of the F1 cars were. I'm presuming that's on a decent lens?

It's not the proximity to a corner or straight though that I'm getting at. You're going to get a great view of a fraction of the race and I wouldn't debate that. It's the fact that with F1 that's just about all you get isn't it? Unless you're in the main straight grandstand with a view perhaps beyond corner one?

Get a gold ticket for Spa in the grandstand at Radillon/Eau Rouge - watch them fly through flat out and still watch a massive screen with all the live coverage.

The only other way to do F1 is with a Paddock Pass, and those ate stupidly expensive :eek:

Watching a footy match at home you get commentary and a great view of the action with all of the views of the offside decisions but you don't get the atmosphere. Some of the best games of football I've attended I've come out hoarse and buzzing from the game, I never felt that at home.

Motorsport isn't like that but the speed, the sound and the smell mix together to create fantastic experience. Watching an F1 car on the TV it looks quick but it doesn't show that the noise is almost loud enough to split your ear drums, the ground shakes and the speed as the car goes by the first time is breath taking. I can see that it might be boring when you get used to it but don't forget its not just the F1 race there are other races that take place earlier in the day and afterwards.

However in saying all of that seeing some of the GT cars or Classic F1 cars going round Oulton Park can be as or more dramatic, you can get closer to the action the noise is just as loud and you can get to see 10 races and so many different types of cars it helps top up the petrol in your veins, well it does for me anyway.

Watching a footy match at home you get commentary and a great view of the action with all of the views of the offside decisions but you don't get the atmosphere. Some of the best games of football I've attended I've come out hoarse and buzzing from the game, I never felt that at home.

Yes, I get the point that you miss atmosphere and nothing can replace that - but you do still get to see all the action, in fact more because you're not restricted to the part of the pitch the camera is on. In F1 you see a fraction of the 'playing surface' if I can use that analogy.

Motorsport isn't like that but the speed, the sound and the smell mix together to create fantastic experience. Watching an F1 car on the TV it looks quick but it doesn't show that the noise is almost loud enough to split your ear drums, the ground shakes and the speed as the car goes by the first time is breath taking. I can see that it might be boring when you get used to it but don't forget its not just the F1 race there are other races that take place earlier in the day and afterwards.

However in saying all of that seeing some of the GT cars or Classic F1 cars going round Oulton Park can be as or more dramatic, you can get closer to the action the noise is just as loud and you can get to see 10 races and so many different types of cars it helps top up the petrol in your veins, well it does for me anyway.

Yes, great points without question. I went to a Lamborghini/GT car event at Brands Hatch back in 1994/5 and that was fantastic. Couldn't see all of the track but could see plenty - but that's not what F1 is like because of the circuits. So it's not that live in-person motorsport doesn't appeal to me - it does - just that F1 doesn't.

p.s. BTCC at Croft too, love that cos you can get to see a fair bit.

Missed testing today as I was travelling, will miss the race on Sunday as I'm at a charity bash, the qualifying looks set to be my only viewing pleasure.... but a mate has unexpectedly returned from NZ and is calling in tomorrow afternoon with his family so instead of watching Lewis in the rain I'll be bored sh*tless about how bloody wonderful life is in the colonies and how they don't miss anything about the UK and what a dump it is here and how marvellous NZ is etc etc etc like the last time he came back :ffs: