eldavo69 Posted October 16, 2012 Report Share Posted October 16, 2012 Well, as my 1988 944 2.7 died a death the replacement arrived last Friday, a 1988 944 Turbo S. The Turbo S had the lighter weight of the earlier 220bhp Turbo but came with medium black Brembo brakes, M030 suspension and 250bhp. This one has KW Clubsport suspension, 968 M030 roll bars front and rear, a boost enhancer, no interior and Michelin Pilot Cup tyres. There is an enormous folder of receipts right back to the original invoice for £42k and the car has been used as a trackday car but with no expense spared. The receipt from last year for £400 at Ninemeister for corner weighting and geometry tells you that! However, my plan is to convert it to a fast road spec rather than all out track weapon. I'll be putting a little bit of weight back in (and no I don't mean me) but will tweak the power to compensate too. Here she is in the advert: [ATTACH]47085[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47086[/ATTACH] And sat on my drive next to the 2.7: [ATTACH]47087[/ATTACH] The 2.7 is lowered but this is really low: [ATTACH]47088[/ATTACH] The first job was to remove the fixed bucket seat as it needed moving backwards for me anyway: [ATTACH]47089[/ATTACH] You can see a bit of the sound deadening glue remains. The sound deadening weighs about 25-30 kilos and is a nightmare to remove so I'm quite happy someone else has done the hard work. The carpets weigh very little in comparison so they'll be going back in to provide some noise reduction and also look a bit better: [ATTACH]47090[/ATTACH] Seat and mounts removed, now to get this stucco aluminium plate out too: [ATTACH]47091[/ATTACH] Oh joy of joys, it's stuck down with Tiger Seal, a job for Mr Crowbar, Mr Chisel and Mr BFH: [ATTACH]47092[/ATTACH] Yay, out and scraping the Tiger Seal off: [ATTACH]47093[/ATTACH] Just needs a Hoover and a degrease: [ATTACH]47094[/ATTACH] Meanwhile, the guy that bought my 2.7 gave me a set of carpets in good nick but they were Burgundy: [ATTACH]47095[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47096[/ATTACH] First spray coat of black carpet dye done, it'll need another to be passable: [ATTACH]47097[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47098[/ATTACH] Now to attack the windows. The electric window mechanisms had been swapped out for manual ones. I've got the electric ones but they weigh a ton so I'll stick with the very lightweight manual ones. Plexi-glass windows had also been fitted but they were too narrow for the window channels and were flexible so if open when moving they popped out a bit and wouldn't go back in properly. There are also 2 positions to mount the window winder, one allows the window to go all the way down but fouls the dashboard with the door shut. The other position clears the dashboard but the window stays sticking up an inch when "fully" open. They were in the first position and I figured I'd rather them stick up an inch than have to open the door every time I wanted to open the window! The door cards had been removed and black ABS plastic cut to shape. I have plans here for fibreglass or carbon door cards so watch this space. Anyway here is the driver's door with plexi-glass window: [ATTACH]47099[/ATTACH] Door card removed: [ATTACH]47100[/ATTACH] 2 positions for the winder mechanism, needs to be in the lower bolt holes: [ATTACH]47101[/ATTACH] Removed the mechanism and the window, swapped the runner back onto the proper glass window and put it all back together. Just need to do the other side and get some lightweight door cards. Here is the 2.7 being towed away to its new home ready for an engine swap: [ATTACH]47102[/ATTACH] Finally, removed the footrest and accelerator to test fit the carpets. Just need to pick up some spray glue and start to get them refitted once each section has been dyed: [ATTACH]47103[/ATTACH] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.