Nissan Deltwing is "Attacked in Atlanta"

Andy_Bangle

Glad there wasn't a curb there or a wheel, if you look carefully the right side mirror probably saved Gunnar's head.

I'd be surprised if a mirror could withstand that? If it could, it would be a prime candidate for some weight reduction, surely?

I'm pretty sure FIA requirements for all race cars include roll-over protection for the driver.

I hope, by design, he was further away from being killed than it appears. What a mug of a Porka driver. Grosjean interviewing for a new team?

Far far too easy to get that delta to roll. All the other teams will notice that in case they are battling at the last corner, or is that just me on Gran Turismo?

Delta Wing, the Robin Reliant of the racing world!

Awful things those, looked ridiculously poor at Le-Mans.

...except its got 4 wheels!

Which version of LM were you watching? For a revolutionary prototype it was running a reasonable LMP2 pace until it was crashed out by an LMP1 Toyota......The delta wing will also have a formal classification for the 2013 ALMS +++

This is what he does on his days off:

Oh - he's THAT guy! No wonder he was gesticulating at the Porsche driver, he was probably bored and annoyed the Porsche guy hadn't done something properly exciting...

Anyway, I don't see the point of those squirrel suit things. There's no benefit to science or society, why do they bother?

;)

Edited by patently

Anyway, I don't see the point of those squirrel suit things. There's no benefit to science or society, why do they bother?

;)

'Cos they are stupid!

On a more serious note, why not ask the wonderful ladies and gents who have to scrape up their smeared corpses what they think of them?

Watching that a couple of times has left me thinking that there is a monstrous design flaw in the Delta Wing design.

Tapping a regular car in the rear quarter or side would probably result in a small slide or nothing at all. The stability of a 'regular' four corner wheel platform is proven.

In the instance of the Delta Wing, tapping the rear quarter and having such a narrow track on the front led to the front rolling over as there was no front right hand corner wheel to push back on, exactly like how a Reliant Robin rolls over.

Watch it a few times and I think you'll see what I mean.

Its admirable that they have decided to look at a different design, but ultimately a wheel on each corner has been around for a long time, is proven to be far more stable and leaves the Nissan looking a little form over function, and potentially a dangerous one at that.

I would expect the FIA (or whoever is the governing body) to have a closer look at the design now, regardless of the driver being fine.

Look at that video again, guys - I reckon the Nissan driver is not entirely blameless. If he knew the circuit (and if he didn't know the circuit then he should have been taking it slower) he would know that the green Porsche driver was going to run out of road and face the concrete bridge support (bad circuit design to leave that unprotected anyway). The Porsche driver wasn't given any choice but to move right to avoid the bridge and there was plenty of room for the Nissan driver to move right to allow the Porsche space at that speed.

Actually, I entirely blame the Nissan driver for forcing his way and running the Porsche out of track. It was avoidable.

Regardless of whether the Nisan Deltawing is a clever design or not, its driver was seriously out of order.

Look at that video again, guys - I reckon the Nissan driver is not entirely blameless. If he knew the circuit (and if he didn't know the circuit then he should have been taking it slower) he would know that the green Porsche driver was going to run out of road and face the concrete bridge support (bad circuit design to leave that unprotected anyway). The Porsche driver wasn't given any choice but to move right to avoid the bridge and there was plenty of room for the Nissan driver to move right to allow the Porsche space at that speed.

Actually, I entirely blame the Nissan driver for forcing his way and running the Porsche out of track. It was avoidable.

Regardless of whether the Nisan Deltawing is a clever design or not, its driver was seriously out of order.

Are you serious? Afraid I could not disagree more - yes, the green Porsche runs a little wide but its 100% the Porsches hopeless over correction that pitches it into the side of the Delta Wing!

Even before the bridge the Delta Wing had left more than enough space for the Porsche to get through without touching the kerb/grass

Are you serious? Afraid I could not disagree more - yes, the green Porsche runs a little wide but its 100% the Porsches hopeless over correction that pitches it into the side of the Delta Wing!

Even before the bridge the Delta Wing had left more than enough space for the Porsche to get through without touching the kerb/grass

....Then perhaps I need to have another, closer, look at the vid. Was it a race or a trackday?

If it was a race, then yes every driver is full-on going for every opportunity. But if a trackday, the Nissan driver should have anticipated other drivers more. Just my opinion.

Anyway, like most Nissans, the Deltawing is fugly!

EDIT: Having looked at the vid more closely I still think that the Nissan driver did not leave enough room for the Porsche and could easily have done so. :buttcheeks:

Edited by RedRobin

EDIT: Having looked at the vid more closely I still think that the Nissan driver did not leave enough room for the Porsche and could easily have done so. :buttcheeks:

The Delta Wing was in the middle of the track, so lots of room given. If he was any further over then he would compromise his line for the next corner.

As a concept the Delta Wing is interesting as it shows what can be achieved for fuel efficiency in motorsport, along with creating downforce without having to resort to wings all over the place.