EVO: Shelby GT500 Mustang Vs Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe

Andy_Bangle

Wow, once it got going there was no stopping that Mustang, must admit to having a liking for them ever since they came out, I just get the feeling it would be really disappointing on our roads (and doing a reasonable amount of miles would cost quite a bit in petrol). Shame they've never made them in right hand drive.

The Evo article was interesting. They (or at least some of them) quite like the old school V8 grunt and can forgive the comedy interior for something with a bit of old fashioned character. But this version is just too powerful. Driving it in the cold, dark rain of the UK in October was just too downright scary.

Sitting back and enjoying the noise of a V8 as you squirt and coast down the straights is one thing. Having your eyes out on storks in case the thing swaps ends (again) on a couple of drops of moisture is quite another.

That was kind of the jist of it anyway.

In the U.S., the Shelby GT500 Mustang retails for $54,995 (equal to £33,750) and the C63 AMG Coupe for $59,800 (£36,700), with both prices excluding taxes (i.e. in Massachusetts, it's 6.25%) and handling/delivery fee.

Since the Ford isn’t offered in the UK, we can only tell you the pre-discount price of the C63 AMG that sells for £58,130 OTR (equal to $94,800).

In the U.S., the Shelby GT500 Mustang retails for $54,995 (equal to £33,750) and the C63 AMG Coupe for $59,800 (£36,700), with both prices excluding taxes (i.e. in Massachusetts, it's 6.25%) and handling/delivery fee.

Since the Ford isn’t offered in the UK, we can only tell you the pre-discount price of the C63 AMG that sells for £58,130 OTR (equal to $94,800).

:eek:

What a difference!

The Evo article was interesting. They (or at least some of them) quite like the old school V8 grunt and can forgive the comedy interior for something with a bit of old fashioned character. But this version is just too powerful. Driving it in the cold, dark rain of the UK in October was just too downright scary.

Sitting back and enjoying the noise of a V8 as you squirt and coast down the straights is one thing. Having your eyes out on storks in case the thing swaps ends (again) on a couple of drops of moisture is quite another.

That was kind of the jist of it anyway.

Only if you drive it like a pr1ck though, a lot of reviewers don't seem to realise the accelerator pedal regulates the speed, it isn't an on/off switch.

If you are driving sensibly, I can't imagine you'll get into trouble, and the ability to get the arse out at low speeds will make it fun when you want to play!

At least that's how I see it anyway.

That was his whole point. He was driving sensibly, there was nowhere near enough progressive throttle control, which meant however careful you tried to be in the wet you were always on tenterhooks about when it would let go.

I think the other key factor is that we're all far too used to effective traction control in modern road cars. Something the Shelby ain't got.

Wasn't there a version of the Shelby that they sorted out some of the issues with, they changed the rear axle and suspension and a few other bits, got a feeling it was on Top Gear, I wonder how much cost would be involved to try and sort it out a little bit, I reckon it would be great fun if made a little more easy to drive.