Time to upgrade the Polo?

Riz

Now you've made all the choices, etc.

Why?

The mk4 R32 is fab, why would you want a GTi as well. I know it's all down to choice and I'm not going to be shouting 135i,etc but I'm going to be wondering why you want / need the GTi when you already have a better car.

I'm just curious as to driver. I change cars because its habit, and I fancy a change, you're clearly far more rational than me so wondered what made it the best choice!

In a way that takes me back to a thought i had.  With economy being mentioned, a GTD - was that ever under consideration?

• Like 1

In the end it worked out to £3709 discount off the RRP  :rolleyes:

Volkswagen wanted £400 for GAP insurance, so for the time being I'm going to look at other 3rd party GAP suppliers, but I may have a cheeky go at getting GAP discounted..... depends how much more squeezing I can do.  :D

I'd have agree with Mac on this, the GTi shouldn't really be compared to the Audi S3, 45AMG or the M135i, the Golf R will be Volkswagens competitor to these cars and not the GTi.

The GTi is lower than these cars in terms of out and out performance but for every day useable mixed driving it will meet my needs :D

I very much doubt it will take the fun away from my R32, what I like about the R32 is that it feels very heavy, raw, mechanical and I has a fab sound track.

But the GTi is extremely comfortable (with 18" & standard suspension) and a way better daily proposition than my R32.  :unsure:

I've decided that if it arrives this year I will take delivery rather than waiting for March 1st to arrive, but if it gets to the end of January I will then opt for March 1st.

Thanks for all your commends guys and I will be sure to post some nice pictures once its landed.

Riz :D :D :D

Regarding Gap, one option I've heard people try is to find the best third party deals you can, and literally a few days before you go to collect the car, call your salesman and see if he'll match it

• Like 1

Regarding Gap, one option I've heard people try is to find the best third party deals you can, and literally a few days before you go to collect the car, call your salesman and see if he'll match it

Better still, ask him to beat it.  I hate price matching.  I feel cheated out of a fiver or tenner, or whatever else I can get for the sheer feeling of a tiny win.:roflmao:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The power is transferred to the road via the latest 4MOTION four-wheel drive system which enables the R to accelerate from standstill to 62mph in just 5.3 seconds (compared with 5.7 seconds for the previous model), or 4.9 seconds when fitted with the optional six-speed DSG gearbox. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph.

The new Golf R isn’t just faster, either; with officially verified fuel consumption of 39.8 pg on the combined cycle (40.9mpg for the DSG version), and CO2 emissions as low as 159 g/km it is up to 18 per cent more efficient than its predecessor.

The volkswagen.co.uk configuration for the model is due to be completed on 2 January. In the meantime, the Golf R features on the site’s ‘Coming soon’ page.

Dynaudio sound system will not be available at launch and is expected to be released from mid-2014. Park Assist will not be available on Golf R.

Prices

R 3dr 6spd manual

R 3dr 6spd DSG

R 5dr 6spd manual

R 5dr 6spd DSG

£29,900

£31,315

£30,555

£31,970

Retailer demonstrators will be allocated in the normal way.

Key differences from Golf GTI:

· Fuel tank capacity increased to 55 litres (from 50)

· Luggage capacity reduced from 380 litres to 343 litres (rear seats up)

· Luggage capacity reduced from 1,270 litres to 1,233 litres (rear seats folded)

· New colour available for the R – Lapiz blue (see images)

· Standard wheels are 18-inch Cadiz alloys, with a 19-inch Pretoria alloys optional

· ‘Race Mode’ available when the Adaptive Chassis Control (DCC) is chosen

· Standard bi-xenon headlights with new design LED daytime running lights (double-U design)

· Quad-chrome exhaust pipes and other external styling tweaks such as matt chrome mirror caps

· ‘ESC Sport’ mode delays the activation of the ESC systems which can also be fully deactivated

· Golf R dials and key

Yes the price is pretty decent :) but very close to the Audi S3.

Your looking at around £40k for a fully loaded example, not sure about lead times but I suspect between 25-30 weeks with low discounts?

Update on my GTi order....

Should be here hopefully next month, did a little more squeezing and managed £3934 discount in the end by taking out. GAP.

Very excited at the moment... hope it's not hit with any long delays, Jan delivery would be ok too.

The way Volkswagen has treated some of its customers has been shocking, some owners waiting a very long time for their cars.

No DynAudio until mid-2014 is plain nuts!

Riz :)

Edited by Riz

The Golf R is starting to look more appealing, i'd need the 5 door and would probably want the DSG again (4.9 0-60 isn't too shabby). Might have to see if I can get a test drive. I've got another 3 years with the 1 series so know i'll not be able to get to tempted.

• Like 1