Help Me Choose

nordberg

Saw a 5GT waiting to pull out of a junction the other day.

They're much bigger than I'd realised! - more 7-series hatch, than 5-series.

Yeh, I think they have the same wheelbase as the 7 (obviously all based on the same 7 platform).

I'd have no problem getting 2 Isofits and a middle passenger in one of those bad boys.....

The 5GT is on the 7 series Chassis / wheelbase which is why it has so much rear legroom. If you slide the rear seats fully forwards it still gives you as much rear legroom as a 5 series touring. I can't reach my little boy on the back seat he is that far away. +++

I am currently having really dirty thoughts about a Panamera. The facelift version is truly lovely. The only thing that will stop me buying one is the fact that as I would have to go for the diesel, it is the Audi 3 litre lump that they use in it.

The BMW is so much more refined and powerful.

Exquisite.  That's the new Panamera.  Marry the small but ever so clever details to the exterior to the simply stunning interior and they are a truly wonderful looking car now.

What about the S E-Hybrid?  Wouldn't that solve the issue?

0-62 mph in 5.5s, 167 mph....and CO2 emissions of just 71 g/km. 

That puts it in Band A - along with a BMW 320d!

Company car tax bill of £150 pcm. +++

1 - you need a Porsche-approved electrical survey and installation.

2 - I'm pretty sure that's the company car tax liability for 20% tax, even so £300 a month on something that glorious is a steal.

3 - so what if it's a diesel Panamera, I've been in one, it sounds nice and achieves remarkable mpg, NNMM would love that!

I am currently having really dirty thoughts about a Panamera. The facelift version is truly lovely. The only thing that will stop me buying one is the fact that as I would have to go for the diesel, it is the Audi 3 litre lump that they use in it.

The BMW is so much more refined and powerful.

It's based upon the 3 litre VAG lump, but it's been touched by Porsche.  So, more power, more torque, more mpg and more refined.  What's not to like?  :grin:

I do see his point on the diesel variant. 

The engine may well have been fettled by Porsche, but he'd be coming from possibly the best diesel engine on the planet.

The 40d is quite an incredible piece of engineering.  I complain that we don't get the MPG out of it that BMW claim, or anywhere close to it, but in every other respect it never ceases to impress me.  It is so smooth it would be very easy to mistake it for a petrol engine and the shove it has is dramatic.

I do see his point on the diesel variant. 

The engine may well have been fettled by Porsche, but he'd be coming from possibly the best diesel engine on the planet.

The 40d is quite an incredible piece of engineering.  I complain that we don't get the MPG out of it that BMW claim, or anywhere close to it, but in every other respect it never ceases to impress me.  It is so smooth it would be very easy to mistake it for a petrol engine and the shove it has is dramatic.

Yep!! :)

Back in the day, my mate and I were walking into the really old White City car place, when they had 2 seperate lots.

There was a Merc outside, idling.  He commented that it was a bit rough, however, as we walked by I realised it was the E300D, the 6 cylinder diesel and we were both amazed.  This was in '89/90.  Those things were very smooth - no turbo on it though.