Help Me Choose

nordberg

Oooooh I love the heated seats, not sure I could live without them +++

Ditto.

The XKR had ventilated seats, and if I go and spec a car for the first time (not just get one spec'd off the floor) the ventilated seats will be the first option. Great in winter, but just awesome in summer with the cool dry air blowing through.

• Like 2

Been out for a spin in a 320d M Sport Auto. Very nice indeed. The auto 'box is indeed bloody brilliant. By far the best auto I've driven.

Couldn't fault it to be honest. If I was being really picky, I'd say the engine was noisier that I would have expected, especially when pushed. The driving position was first rate and the ergonomics are excellent. I stand by what I said earlier in the thread with regard to interior materials; BMW are not quite at the same level as Audi in terms of plastics and fit and finish.

So, decision is needed - and I am CRAP at decision making...... Whittled down to:

Audi A6 Avant 2.0d Black Edition - nice car. Possibly too big in reality given that 90% of the time the car will contain just me. Would only consider the manual as the CVT 'box is woeful and economy terrible. The most expensive car here, but also the best equipped and the most presence IMHO.

Mazda 6 2.2d Sport Tourer - again, nice car. Reliability is a given, as is practicality. Just about the perfect size. Economy nowhere near the BMW, but better than the Audi. Performance on a par with the 320d. Again, CVT 'box means it would need to be manual. Cheapest car per month here, but not by as much as I would have thought (£10 p/mth less than the 320d manual)....

BMW 320d M Sport Touring Step Auto - without wishing to sound like a broken record... nice car. Definitely the best to drive and arguably better looking than the Mazda. Size-wise it's possibly a bit on the small side, but nothing a roof box won't fix if desperate. A bit more ubiquitous than I would normally prefer, but hey-ho.

Longshot - the Kia Sportage is still lingering as it does offer very good value for money....

I need to decide this week. Looking at 3rd week of Jan for a build to order BMW, and mine goes back the week before that....
Edited by nordberg

But if you're looking at an A6 Avant, why aren't you looking at a 5 series?

You're comparing a 3 series with an A6?

The 5 series is £75 p/mth more than the A6...

My budget stops at £400 p/mth. There's a promotion on the A6 at the moment which is why it's out of place here.....

This is how the BMW is looking.....and this is the Audi.

Edited by nordberg

If it is contract hire, include maintenance if you go for the Audi.

I do find 3 Series very cramped inside and I ain't a big bloke! That said, it will be the best drive out of the cars you are looking at.

If you do much round town driving, the manual Audi will drive you mad with constant gear changes.

Indeed - I bought four 15" Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto 2s for the 205 less than the price of one A6 20" Pirelli or Michelin.  Bonkers!  I was actually surprised when Audi launched the present S3 on 7.5 x 18s.  I am even more surprised there isn't an optional 19, especially when you can have 19s on the A3 saloon or Cab

The first Countach sat on 15" wheels.  Even the Ferrari Testarossa only sat on 16" wheels - 20 years ago.

Audi UK battle with the German's over wheel sizes. Audi UK tell them the spec that will sell in the UK and then the Germans tell then "zis is stoopid".

People want big wheels despite them increasing unsprung weight, cost more for tyres etc.

If it is contract hire, include maintenance if you go for the Audi.

I do find 3 Series very cramped inside and I ain't a big bloke! That said, it will be the best drive out of the cars you are looking at.

If you do much round town driving, the manual Audi will drive you mad with constant gear changes.

I think the Audi is out. I really want an auto now and the Audi auto is just abysmal (why they persevere with the ridiculous CVT is a mystery). Coupled with the less than stellar economy and the price of those tyres (!!), I think it's going to end up being expensive.

Had another look around the 3 touring this morning and I think size-wise it will do.